Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench requests

Hi there,

First of all, I'd like to thanks Michael's Phoronix to provide a high quality web-site about hardware news and benchs around Linux.

This post to request 2 things :
    • Would it be possible to have a Phenom review (especially on specifics linux benchs, such compile time (sorry, I'm gentoo user)
    • Have a bench about which filesystem is the best

In fact, as soon as UT3 is out, i'll be in need of changing my aging computer.
    I'll keep Gentoo, so I've to choose the best architecture for running Linux, and therefore :
    What file system is the best option (mainly what is the fastest between Ext3, Ext4 (stable?), Reiser 3 and 4 and more "exotic" filesystems such as JFS or XFS. There is few or no topic on that over the net (so far as I couldn't googled that up).
    Then, as Gentoo user, what processor will better compile all my distro between intel and AMD.
    Finally, the choice of the graphic card is no topic anymore since one manufacturer is open-source friendly and the other is not !

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding a Phenom review.... Hopefully. If AMD (or any of their partners) sends any samples out, they shall be benchmarked and reviewed.

My specialty isn't in file-systems but I'll see what I can do or if anyone else is interested in writing the article.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well from my personal experience, I haven't measured the performance so I can't confirm it. But for games Reiser 3 seemed to have better performance during load times than EXT 3 did. Should be interesting to see a actual benchmark to see if that is true though.

Comment

reiserfs (3) was faster for some cases like creating squashfs images for a live system. But it is very likely to be destroyed, when you try OC too much. RAM or CPU error result in huge filesystem damage. ext3 seems to be more robust, jfs needs always an fsck to work correctly - especially it often refuses to mount when you pressed reset So currently I primary use ext3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          reiserfs (3) was faster for some cases like creating squashfs images for a live system. But it is very likely to be destroyed, when you try OC too much. RAM or CPU error result in huge filesystem damage. ext3 seems to be more robust, jfs needs always an fsck to work correctly - especially it often refuses to mount when you pressed reset So currently I primary use ext3.
          Yep this is true, I've had ReiserFS even without a OC die on me, it happened during a thunderstorm and the power went out, got back in later and it wasn't pretty. You could say, well I should have had a UPS, but its really about how fragile ReiserFS is. If you're hooked up to a UPS and have ECC ram, I think you'll be ok running ReiserFS.

Comment

I'd be very interested in Linux-specific benchmarks for the Phenom and particularly any comparatives in 32 and 64-bits.

Regarding filesystem benchmarks, I found this with a quick google, a long some results. Keep in mind these are tests for Linux 2.6.0-pre, but there's also the code should anyone feel comfortable hacking it to run these tests against current filesystem iterations.

Comment

Working...
            X