Intel Graphics Get A Boost With Linux 2.6.38, Mesa 7.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    In reality you install LibreOffice and point anybody questioning at ISO/IEEE.

You, of course, can and should use anything you prefer or want. But when it comes to document exchange, standards must be followed. It isn't LibreOffice problem, its Microsoft problem.
    Actually like it or not it is a LibreOffice problem. Despite what any ISO/IEEE standard says MS Office doc formats are the real standard set by user adoption much like MS Windows is the defacto standard for operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Actually like it or not it is a LibreOffice problem. Despite what any ISO/IEEE standard says MS Office doc formats are the real standard set by user adoption much like MS Windows is the defacto standard for operating systems.
      That's what I was going to say...

No matter what ISO/IEEE says...

The International System of Units establishes metres as standart unit for lenght. Go and tell people who use the imperial system do use metres I think it's simpler than telling people who use MS Office to save their files in ODF format (most people doesn't even KNOW what's DOC, they just see the MS Word icon in the file and click it), but will serve as an example.

crazycheese, what you said would be ideal, but our world is real, and it's filled with users (mostly dumb users), and I, as much as any other computer technician, office worker, etc, have to deal with these users, not with experts. I just like Linux, use it as my main OS at home, but I still need MS Office (it's the only MS program I still need today), and so such rendering errors under wine are unacceptable for me.

It's been confirmed to be a bug in x.org's intel driver, any version past 2.11. I was just saying it's sad to see such performance increase from using Mesa 7.11 and Intel's latest driver, with the latest Linux kernel, since I can't enjoy these improvements because any driver past 2.11 will cause rendering errors in Office 2007 under Wine.

Thanks, anyway, for even reading my post, and sorry, admins, for the unintended double-posting.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Well then you should use the de facto operating system, problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
          The International System of Units establishes metres as standart unit for lenght. Go and tell people who use the imperial system do use metres
          Wait, someone is still using the imperial system in 2011? How does it feel being left in the dark ages when the rest of the world has moved on?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Wait, someone is still using the imperial system in 2011? How does it feel being left in the dark ages when the rest of the world has moved on?
            QFT, I live in the U.S. and it makes me angry every time it is used, jut die already.

Comment

Well, I just said that because I see lots of people using inches, feet, yards, miles, etc when measuring distance or lenght. I was just hoping you would understand my example, man, sorry if I don't actually live in some country that uses imperial system. Btw, AFAIK, measuring temperature in ?F also goes against the SI. And people uses it anyway.

And no, I will not use MS Windows, thanks. That doesn't mean I should also drop MS Office. Wine exists, it works quite well under Wine, and I'll run it using Wine.

BTW, in case anybody has noticed, the bug i just quoted affects other applications too, LINUX applications, not Windows ones running under Wine. Wine, actually, is one of these Linux applications affected by that bug. I just quoted Microsoft Office because it's the only program I still need from Windows.

Now, back to reality, where there are still users and we know we won't be changing their minds anytime soon, for ODF to start to be largely used as it should be, MS Office would have to save to ODF as a default. In office reality, if you want to use Linux, you have to use MS Office with Wine. It's sad, but true. And No, again, I won't run Windows just because of MS Office. Instead, I'll just wait for the bug to be fixed and then upgrade my drivers, have the extra performance AND Wine working correctly.

I never meant Libreoffice was wrong, or that we should just accept Microsoft's dominance. No, no, no! We should fight to see ODF being used more and more. But, as for now, I need MS Office, this bug is stopping me from upgrading my driver, it affects other linux apps as well... and should be fixed.

Seems to be a regression, nothing exactly huge.

Comment

Back on topic: Michael, do you know exactly what code changes allow for this massive improvement?
                Also, we've had Sandy Bridge and Clarkdale benches; any chance of some love for the old 945? Still a reasonable user base size from just netbooks, ignoring all the other old boxes lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                  It's sad I can't use the newer drivers due to a bug that's been there since driver version 2.12 (found in Ubuntu 10.10). I need MS Office to work under Wine, since LibreOffice still can't do some thins I need (like full compatibility with Office 2007 documents), and any driver newer than 2.11 causes major rendering errors (black areas and borders).

It also affects other programs, as we can see by the bugzilla entry at freedesktop.org: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30157

I even downgraded the entire Ubuntu to 10.04 because of another problem with my trackpad too (it takes 3 to 4 taps, sometimes, for it to register the click).

Isn't Google Docs a little better for MS Office documents ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitiquinho View Post
                    Isn't Google Docs a little better for MS Office documents ?
                    Yeah, but is Google Docs available Offline? Sometimes I need it where there's no 3G signal for my notebook...

Comment

I'm a giant advocate of odf. Whenever someone can't open it I tell them to open it in MS Office 2010. Whenever they want me to upgrade I can now tell them to upgrade or STFU.

It always works. They send me docx; I always send back odf's. If they send me pdf I send back pdf.

This is no one-way road I and I make that painfully clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X