Btrfs On Ubuntu Is Running Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of Raids and Backups

RAID is old news with drives approaching 4 TB or surpassing. Having multiple storage devices on a network is safer. It's wasted resources packing mutiple drives in a single point of failure!

What really matters is the performance Virtual Machines experience on the file-systems.

I always figured JFS was a better solution because of the low performance overhead.
    This frees up CPU cycles for the Virtuals.

That's one test I'd like to see; perhaps it's being tested but I don't recall seeing the statistics.

Just from my experience alone, I've noticed I can't tell much difference in any of them: Ext4, JFS, XFS, BTRFS

Comment

Also

jones_supa writes "The sudden death of a solid-state drive in Linus Torvalds' main workstation has led to the work on the 3.12 Linux kernel being temporarily suspended. Torvalds has not been able to recover anything from the drive. Subsystem maintainers who have outstanding pull requests may need to...

Damn :P

Comment

And it is not clear how can it scale better than existing mdraid+lvm solutions

Oakley Sunglasses

Last edited by Ra698shida; 11 September 2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

What we really need in linux is something like Amplidata's Distributed Storage System. That thing looks ideal for both uptime, bit rot, and data loss.
          Sort of like a next-gen zfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ra698shida View Post
            Why are you trying to fix logical problem with visual aid ?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              RAID is old news with drives approaching 4 TB or surpassing. Having multiple storage devices on a network is safer. It's wasted resources packing mutiple drives in a single point of failure!
              You appear to think that 4TB is a lot of data?

Comment

Working...
              X