Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I don't use KDE so I can't comment for that, but I haven't had any such problems like that with Nautilus and fglrx 8.41.

Nautilus is not affected with this "feature"...I hope there are improvements on this, because I don't want switch DE because of f***** display driver

Comment

Gentoo Ebuild update request for 8.41

Michael -- I've opened 191374 on bugs.gentoo.org -
      http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191374

As soon as I get a copy of the new driver I'll do what I can to get an updated ebuild working with this driver.....
      For what its worth I'm on vacation this week .. and some s.o.b stole our van overnight -- so I'm kinda grounded for the next day or so....
      Last edited by Alistair; 05 September 2007, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Rocks, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          As an owner of a laptop with a FireGL V5250, I really have no choice but to try the 8.41 driver because the 8.40 driver fails when trying to play anything more demanding than "Quake 2". Anyway, I thought that the V5250 was based on the R530. What gives?
          Considering that all the laptop chips were more poorly supported under the old fglrx (Poor/No Hypermemory support, etc.) it's not surprising, really.

Comment

Originally posted by opera View Post
            Tell that to everyone else in this thread then? I'm not the only one commenting without actually having the driver. Or perhaps you just thought I was too negative, and thereby I needed to be shut up?
            I dunno.
            You were predicting doom with no knowledge of the driver.
            Originally posted by opera
            We all speak out of experience with the so far drivers. Many of us see a pattern of not caring about really fixing the sucky drivers,
            Since the new driver has a new (and different) codebase, you can't use the old drivers for your predictions.
            but just fixing a bug a month, and this time, making the driver get a better score on FPS benchmarks.
            According to Michael, this new driver has been in the works for a very long time, not just the 1-month development time allocated to previous drivers.
            Also, since the old driver is likely going to be trashed, there was little reason for the dev/financial team to support a soon-to-be-obsolete driver, hence the lack of any real improvement

* No RandR 1.2, because ATI has invented their own proprietary tool before RandR 1.2 was invented, and because of that (very interesting reason) they won't use RandR 1.2 even though it's superior.
            Any definitive evidence of randr superiority? Anyway, if the new driver will be open-sourced, you can just hack randr support into it.
            But ATI surely doesn't understand open source development. Release a 50 mb .tar.bz2 and say "we're now open source" is lunacy.
            When did that happen?!
            Again, I'm speaking ahead of time, but it doesn't take many brain cells to figure out what's going on here. I'm not saying I'm guaranteeing the new ATI driver to suck, I'm just saying it most likely will.
            Again, you can't use the old crappy-driver pattern for the new one.

1 week from now, if the new driver is as bad as you say, we'll all hail you as the new Nostradamus predictor@home. Until then stfu, you have no real basis for your predictions.

Comment

Interesting new driver (would like to test it), but compared to NVIDIA I would like if there is something like

Modes "nvidia-auto-select"

To autoselect the highest possible res automatically. Also NV drivers override the H/V sync values until you deactivate that by special options. Is there something like that in there too?

Also for using beryl (and I expect compiz-fusion) too, there is no real need for AIGLX as minimum requirement, but Composite has to work. Is that working? Composite is also used for KDE transparency which showed corruptions on older releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Interesting new driver (would like to test it), but compared to NVIDIA I would like if there is something like

Modes "nvidia-auto-select"

To autoselect the highest possible res automatically.
                That's already in, and has been implemented for a long time.

Comment

Ok, then how to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Ok, then how to use it?
                    Just don't specify a resolution in your xorg.conf maybe? I never did, but X always runs at my monitor's native resolution & refresh rate.

Then again, maybe I'm an unique case seeing as I also get some rare bugs..

Comment

Originally posted by mile View Post
                      ???

If you use kde, open Konqueror/dolphin filemanager and open folder with large numner of files. It takes more than one second to draw content. This is not happening with avivo driver or Nvidia card in my other comp....

I dont know, if I missed something or this is "normal desktop performance" for you...
                      I have this same problem with my V5200 on my laptop. Yes, strangely, it may be a KDE issue since my desktop running GNOME on a X1800 doesn't have this problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X