Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Um, no, it's KDE.

I am using Kde 4.5 in Debian and I get some notifications after start that I need to update something. How can I disable it (I often don't want to waste bandwidth for such things)? I am using Debian

There's tons of examples of people having problems with both the wallet and the notifications being a nuissance. Also, the KDE admins on their forum admit KWallet (or whatever it's called) has bugs and simply request posters file a bug report. So, they're just saying go **** yourself. Their insane program has run the same way since day one. Ever since they went to KDE4, the DE has gone down the drain. It's a useless POS with tons of bugs and stupid processes that don't work or just cause more havoc.

No wonder people are trying XFCE, LXDE and hoping that Cinnamon and/or MATE can be alternatives for Gnome3 which is going the route of KDE in becoming crap.
    Doing a google search for problems with kde comes up with post by people who have problems with kde... not really a shock.. googleing 'problems with xfce' will bring up forum posts of issues and bugs people have with xfce. Its not a fair way of to gauge the buggyness of a gui.

I don't like kwallet but its not been buggy for me as far as I recall. Luckily it is set to be replaced. Kde's biggest problem from my perceptive is poor defaults and general clutter; its been quite stable since 4.5.

Comment

Um, no, it's KDE.

I am using Kde 4.5 in Debian and I get some notifications after start that I need to update something. How can I disable it (I often don't want to waste bandwidth for such things)? I am using Debian

There's tons of examples of people having problems with both the wallet and the notifications being a nuissance. Also, the KDE admins on their forum admit KWallet (or whatever it's called) has bugs and simply request posters file a bug report. So, they're just saying go **** yourself. Their insane program has run the same way since day one. Ever since they went to KDE4, the DE has gone down the drain. It's a useless POS with tons of bugs and stupid processes that don't work or just cause more havoc.

No wonder people are trying XFCE, LXDE and hoping that Cinnamon and/or MATE can be alternatives for Gnome3 which is going the route of KDE in becoming crap.
      Then Again, you are just trolling. The first link is about an external kpackagekit application, i am not sure if that app is Apper or Muon. But since is a package manager issue, then is has to do more with the distro than anything else. KDE doesn't care about rpm or debs packages or updates since those are very distribution specific details that doesn't have to do with KDE. Or you want kde developers to hadle your distro specific package management system?

So instead of complaining with KDE about that very distribution specific and isolated issue, just fill a bug request to your distro, so they change the silly hourly update defaults in the corresponding kpackagekit app, to a weekly or monthly update schedule, and make sure that your distro supports delta packages.

About the second link... well if you forgot the password is not kwallet's fault

And the third link... common! if your driver doesn't works how can you connect to any wifi netwrok? what that has to do with kwallet? The first thing that kde ask you is if you want to use the kwallet system. Just say no if you don't want it! or just set a password once, dont just hit cancel

to decide not to conduct or perform (something planned or expected) usually without expectation of conducting or performing it at a later time; to destroy the force, effectiveness, or validity of : annul; to match in force or effect : offset —often used with out… See the full definition

kdewallet is useful to store all my passwaord in one sigle master key password so i dont have to memorize each web service password. You can , however, use your browser for that matter too, but the broser doesn't handle my cofee shop,nor my home wifi nor university wifi passwords, so ...it gets short for that.

So, as you demostrated, all those issues are just distro related.

Something that i don't like are some KDE defaults, like some window effects or icons everywhere that makes KDE feel bloated. But at least i can spend 2 minutes fixings those . That possibility doesn't even exist in others DE wich make them very annyoing .

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
        Then Again, you are just trolling. The first link is about an external kpackagekit application, i am not sure if that app is Apper or Muon. But since is a package manager issue, then is has to do more with the distro than anything else. KDE doesn't care about rpm or debs packages or updates since those are very distribution specific details that doesn't have to do with KDE. Or you want kde developers to hadle your distro specific package management system?

So instead of complaining with KDE about that very distribution specific and isolated issue, just fill a bug request to your distro, so they change the silly hourly update defaults in the corresponding kpackagekit app, to a weekly or monthly update schedule, and make sure that your distro supports delta packages.

About the second link... well if you forgot the password is not kwallet's fault

And the third link... common! if your driver doesn't works how can you connect to any wifi netwrok? what that has to do with kwallet? The first thing that kde ask you is if you want to use the kwallet system. Just say no if you don't want it! or just set a password once, dont just hit cancel

to decide not to conduct or perform (something planned or expected) usually without expectation of conducting or performing it at a later time; to destroy the force, effectiveness, or validity of : annul; to match in force or effect : offset —often used with out… See the full definition

kdewallet is useful to store all my passwaord in one sigle master key password so i dont have to memorize each web service password. You can , however, use your browser for that matter too, but the broser doesn't handle my cofee shop,nor my home wifi nor university wifi passwords, so ...it gets short for that.

So, as you demostrated, all those issues are just distro related.

Something that i don't like are some KDE defaults, like some window effects or icons everywhere that makes KDE feel bloated. But at least i can spend 2 minutes fixings those . That possibility doesn't even exist in others DE wich make them very annyoing .
        YOU'RE THE TROLL!

I will state it one final time. Since, you don't read, I have to repeat. I stated that it is NOT DISTRO SPECIFIC. IT IS KDE!! I was fixing someone's KDE-based system and the kde wallet will stop someone's wireless from working if you don't use it. I experienced this firsthand. So, I googled and sure enough, others had the same experience. It doesn't matter what distro you use - it's a KDE environment that is common.

Somehow, the program disconnects or otherwise 'hides' wifi settings IF YOU CANCEL the wallet or INPUT THE INCORRECT PASSWORD until you run through hoops to get it back. I guess it's a security 'feature' they think they've provided you! I've noticed this more than once. It seems the only way to avoid problems regarding wifi and the wallet is to disable the wallet program entirely. Therefore, this program is totally useless.

The notifications thing is just another useless nuisance that the KDE developers feel they need to add. Basically, there's several applications they include in the default that are useless and the recommendation is to disable them.

Last edited by Panix; 25 June 2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

YOU'RE THE TROLL!

I will state it one final time. Since, you don't read, I have to repeat. I stated that it is NOT DISTRO SPECIFIC. IT IS KDE!! I was fixing someone's KDE-based system and the kde wallet will stop someone's wireless from working if you don't use it. I experienced this firsthand. So, I googled and sure enough, others had the same experience. It doesn't matter what distro you use - it's a KDE environment that is common.

Somehow, the program disconnects or otherwise 'hides' wifi settings IF YOU CANCEL the wallet or INPUT THE INCORRECT PASSWORD until you run through hoops to get it back. I guess it's a security 'feature' they think they've provided you! I've noticed this more than once. It seems the only way to avoid problems regarding wifi and the wallet is to disable the wallet program entirely. Therefore, this program is totally useless.

The notifications thing is just another useless nuisance that the KDE developers feel they need to add. Basically, there's several applications they include in the default that are useless and the recommendation is to disable them.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...-annoying.html
          Right, so the first link (that you intensively searched for... MEPIS? what's that? ) might be a MEPIS bug, as one of the experienced users (900+ post) commented. The other user just recommended disabling the kde wallet thing. done, a distro bug.

The second link, As a matter of fact, i found those kde wallet defaults settings to be annying too. So i had to spend 10 second of my life,once, configuring a less annyoing kde wallet behaiviour. Just like this:

Which i think has a fair balance between security and usability. These kind of things just rise my complains about all distributions and their attitude towards KDE. Sure, KDE by default might works great, but since KDE is an end user usability software, they must pay more attention to the defaults settings instead of trowing it just like that in their repos. Futhermore, instead of wasting time making 4 forks of the useless gnome-shell to bring us something barelly usable as the obsolete gnome2 once was, distributions should concetrate their efforts to enhance already more mature and usefull DE like KDE or XFCE.

In fact, i think that KDE just need some tweaks here and there (tweaks, no forks or just the brainless brandings like opensuse does with kde), with some little more testing and integration with the distro, to bring down those annoyances and enchance a lot the overall user experience with a lot less effort.

For example, the krunner spell cheching doesn't works in fedora and i know that's because fedora didn't installed the aspell nor the dictionaries. Two weeks ago i tried opensuse beta which has an updated kernel that my laptop needs, but the KDE effects didn't work nor the wifi, just because the live cd didn't have mesa installed or the popular brcmsmac wifi driver wasn't configured properly,so that's not kwin's or kde networkmanager faults .Those are distro related bugs.

Even if a KDE release comes with bugs, is the resposability of mantainers to test, patch , backport or even workaround fixes for those bugs.

Just ask Linus Torvalds about opensuse and wifi passwords and how annyoing can distro policy be: https://plus.google.com/102150693225...ts/1vyfmNCYpi5. I think he is absolutely right

And is kind of funny how you troll about KDE because a (mostly) distro specific bug, and you look for it on the internet. Instead you found plenty of quick and easy workarounds and solutions to the problem.

YOU'RE THE TROLL!

I will state it one final time. Since, you don't read, I have to repeat. I stated that it is NOT DISTRO SPECIFIC. IT IS KDE!! I was fixing someone's KDE-based system and the kde wallet will stop someone's wireless from working if you don't use it.
          Oh , and by the way, to check ,i just disabled kwallet, rebooted my system and i didn't have those problems that you commented. So I just reenabled my kwallet, since i found that is a lot more annyoing to have to set a password for every site, for every web browser, for every application, for every wifi conecction. So either you are lying, or you fucked up KDE or your distro has bugs.

Comment

Can't be possible since KDE is the best DE that has ever existed.

Comment

Just set blank password for kwallet if it annoys you (it annoys me ). Then if kwallet window pops up, you just click "allow always" and you won't see it again. I haven't seen kwallet window for a long time

Set blank password in System Settings>Account Details>KDE Wallet>Access Control tab. Click on "Launch wallet manager", then right click on kde wallet icon>change password and set it to blank.
              Last edited by schnelle; 25 June 2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Never had a problem with Kwallet, though I don't really use it. If anything i thought Gnome-Keyring was just as bad in terms of annoyance so I treat them both the same way.

Tis just personal preference though, i'm sure Kwallet works fine, as it did the few times I tried it out.

Comment

I seem to remember Kwallet is due to be replaced by a unified tool (KDE & Gnome) that does basically the same thing but is being promoted by the Free Desktop crew. http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Spec...t-storage-spec
                  Last edited by jvillain; 26 June 2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X