Shuttleworth Tosses $1M Behind Open-Source Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Well I did have that in mind but $1 million for a project that likely would have (eventually) been completed without any donation?
    It's a company not a project. File systems are never really completed and even if they were it would taken years and years. I also don't see any reason why Inktank would need to stick to one project and one million isn't even that much when you think about it; it could hire 5 developers for two years and that's just about it.

Comment

If he expects to get a return on his investment from this, then fine, whatever. But I don't think it helps at all with Bug #1 except that it might in the long run increase the enterprise / server market share of Ubuntu and make more enterprises adopt it, thereby funding Canonical to continue attacking Bug #1 in their spare time... but at what point do the developers stop working on Bug #1 and work on server instead because that's where the money is? Point being, if they keep focusing and focusing on server because that's what their customers are paying for, then Ubuntu will be a server OS like CentOS, where I was once told "huh... that's weird. I guess our drivers are out of date" by a core developer when my mouse didn't work with their OS.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
        Because of one of English's numerous stupid exceptions, the phrase, "doesn't possess a single point of failure," implies that it is incapable of failing. Probably not what you meant.
        Is english your first language? (doesn't sound like it) - I only ask (not trolling) because a 'single point of failure' (or SPOF) does NOT whatsoever imply incapable of failing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_point_of_failure

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          Is english your first language? (doesn't sound like it) - I only ask (not trolling) because a 'single point of failure' (or SPOF) does NOT whatsoever imply incapable of failing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_point_of_failure
          He said it didn't have a single point of failure, which doesn't make a single bit of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
            He said it didn't have a single point of failure, which doesn't make a single bit of sense.
            again, is English your first langauge? I ask because In english, you can say XYZ system doesn't have a single point of failure, just as you can say XYZ system does have a single point of failure. (even just google, and you will turn up results/examples that use the former). Both statements make sense and the former does not imply (as you said before) that XYZ system is incapable of failing, in any possible way. ~ You saying that it implied the system was incapable of failing didn't make 'a single bit of sense'.

anyways, it doesn't really matter.

cheerz

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              again, is English your first langauge? I ask because In english, you can say XYZ system doesn't have a single point of failure, just as you can say XYZ system does have a single point of failure. (even just google, and you will turn up results/examples that use the former). Both statements make sense and the former does not imply (as you said before) that XYZ system is incapable of failing, in any possible way. ~ You saying that it implied the system was incapable of failing didn't make 'a single bit of sense'.

anyways, it doesn't really matter.

cheerz
              I gather from the statement that is saying: the system can have multiple points of failure, and the system can fail when more than one points fail, but there is no single point in the system that could make the whole thing fail??

Comment

mark's contribution to linux: millions of $ spent promoting it, ubuntu, etc etc etc

asdx's contribution to linux: 444 posts of fail.

Comment

my presence

Comment

Working...
                  X