Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ships 4.11 Release Candidate

Phoronix: KDE Ships 4.11 Release Candidate

The first release candidate of the KDE 4.11 desktop is now available for widespread testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there's faster Nepomuk indexing
    there should be no nepomuk

Comment

With the frozen kdelibs (since 4.9) I jumped onto 4.11 as early as beta 1. I was surprised by the high stability.
      4.11 is a joy to use.

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
      Then don't install it. It has always been optional.

Comment

It's not so much nepomuk

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
        It's not so much nepomuk as it is the abomination that is akonadi. Poorly conceived, poorly implemented, way overly complicated. Years and versions later and it's still a mess. That and recurring appointments in korganizer are the two biggest continuing buckets 'o fail in KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurosan View Post
          It's not so much nepomuk as it is the abomination that is akonadi. Poorly conceived, poorly implemented, way overly complicated. Years and versions later and it's still a mess. That and recurring appointments in korganizer are the two biggest continuing buckets 'o fail in KDE.
          +1! I tend to recompile every KDE release (actually only few of the components) just for the sake of removing akonadi from my box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurosan View Post
            KDE-PIM was a mess before Akonadi, now everything uses the same backend. The only thing I think is that the contact stuff should go to telepathy-kde.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
              +1! I tend to recompile every KDE release (actually only few of the components) just for the sake of removing akonadi from my box.
              At least with openSUSE it's perfectly possible to remove the Akonadi packages. If your distro does not not allow that, your distro is broken.

Everything is optional. Simply don't use non-working components. E.g. I don't use a KDE web browser.

Comment

Im really not sure what you guys are complaining about... With the work that went into indexing with 4.9 and 4.10 i dont even notice indexing happening at all. Granted the only KDE-PIM thing I use IS nepomuk and telepathy-- no kmail or the organizer so maybe those are bad. But its perfectly fine if you just use Nepomuk for indexing and krunner integration.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Everything is optional.
                  Is the cashew finally optional? It is my biggest issue with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Im really not sure what you guys are complaining about... With the work that went into indexing with 4.9 and 4.10 i dont even notice indexing happening at all. Granted the only KDE-PIM thing I use IS nepomuk and telepathy-- no kmail or the organizer so maybe those are bad. But its perfectly fine if you just use Nepomuk for indexing and krunner integration.
                    Indeed, lately Nepomuk has become a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X