Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Features: GLIBC 2.17, GNOME 3.8, MATE 1.6

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Features: GLIBC 2.17, GNOME 3.8, MATE 1.6

Aside from new systemd functionality, several other features have been proposed in the past few days for integration into Fedora 19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Fallback mode

I heard GNOME 3.8 is dropping fallback mode.
    That sucks!

I look forward to Java 8 in Fedora 19 tho, hopefully it sucks less than Java 6.

Comment

GNOME 3.8 has a new "Classic Mode", afaik

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        GNOME 3.8 has a new "Classic Mode", afaik
        Yes, I've heard so.

But I fear it is not as good as the old fallback session.

The "Applications" menu doesn?t utilize the screen real estate, prevents me from seeing all applications and instead forces me scroll. Also, it is much less compact.

It still forces me to use these stupid GMenu instead of having the menus where they belong ? in the application itself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Yes, I've heard so.

But I fear it is not as good as the old fallback session.

The "Applications" menu doesn?t utilize the screen real estate, prevents me from seeing all applications and instead forces me scroll. Also, it is much less compact.

It still forces me to use these stupid GMenu instead of having the menus where they belong ? in the application itself.
          he

I think you should just report the first issue as a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I look forward to Java 8 in Fedora 19 tho, hopefully it sucks less than Java 6.
            Haven't you missed a number there? Java 7 has been standard in Fedora for a while now...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Haven't you missed a number there? Java 7 has been standard in Fedora for a while now...
              Yeah, but I never really used Java 7.
              I only used Java 6 and it was not as good as C# / .NET.

So I hope Java 7 and Java 8 are better.
              I know Java 7 fixed some stuff (added string support to switch(), and type interfering).
              I hope Java 8 is even better.

Comment

I think I am the only person who still likes Gnome 3... well except for the new silly windowshade lock screen and it's crazy font size defaults.

However as far as Fedora 19 goes... as long as it doesn't break as much shit as Fedora 18 it will be a great release. I am seriously considering upgrading to Fedora 17 so that I can get back a fully working system. Although I might actually miss my Bug Report buddy who always hangs about in the tray now.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  So they fucked my fallback mode now with some shitty excuses. Goodbye gnome. As long as your 'vision' persists I will never be back and as long the idiots in charge keep being in charge it looks like it's goodbye and good riddance. Classic mode is shit. Put the window menu in the application where it belongs. Stop forcing me to make more moves for the same function.
                  So are you going to FOSDEM as suggested and questioned various times already? Seems you're ignoring me...

Comment

I don't understand why you guys don't just use CentOS...
                    CentOS 6 is supported for around 7 more years, and it uses Gnome 2 .

I don't like Gnome 3 so I don't use it, it's that simple, I'll stick to CentOS as long as I don't find something better.

As for Gnome 3's "classic mode", I'll keep following the updates, but I highly doubt it will be ever as complete and polished as Gnome 2 is (and quite frankly, I'm happy with Gnome 2, I currently have no reason to upgrade).

Comment

Working...
                    X