Canonical To Develop Some Ubuntu Features In Private

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    First, if it's not on their web site, it's not a policy. It's a recommendation, at best.
    Second, it doesn't sound like they have anything agaist private branches, but something against not rebasing before committing. And that's VCS 101.
    Third, easy branching for personal use us one of the chief reasons Linus bothered to write git.
    I'm pretty sure the mail said policy but whatever. My main argument that most successful FOSS projects to not do behind-closed-doors development is still true.
    WebKit didn't take off until its development was fully opened. radeonhd (driver) and Xgl died because they were developed in private.

Android is the exception to the rule and that's because Google are so rich, they neither need nor want community involvement.

Comment

This article is completely sensationalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        I'm pretty sure the mail said policy but whatever. My main argument that most successful FOSS projects to not do behind-closed-doors development is still true.
        WebKit didn't take off until its development was fully opened. radeonhd (driver) and Xgl died because they were developed in private.

Android is the exception to the rule and that's because Google are so rich, they neither need nor want community involvement.
        Now you're mixing features with projects
        Come on, free means also the freedom to develop behind close doors. Plus, they're a private company, we couldn't tell them what to do anyway. What's the worst that could happen? They can run Ubuntu into the ground. So what? There are tons of distribution to choose from.

Comment

Now you're mixing features with projects
          Don't lecture me what I allegedly confuse when you don't even understand basic English!

Come on, free means also the freedom to develop behind close doors.
          I said that successful FOSS projects don't do that (how many times did I write exactly the same without you understanding it?!?!?), not that it's forbidden in all FOSS projects.

The claim was that behind-closed-doors development was common and no it's not. Not in successful FOSS projects at least.

Comment

Working...
          X