No announcement yet.

Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arch, gentoo, how about slackaware? these are not mainstream easy to use distros. mandriva was at one time the king of KDE, but now they suck.

Comment

Maybe Linux Mint KDE is good (Ubuntu versions).

Maybe I'll have a look at it once I fiddle with my PC hardware and need to install a 64bit OS on a 40GB hard drive I have lying around. I very lately learned that you can switch to a classic start menu by right-clicking on the "K" start button. I consider the default tabbed start menu to be unusable and useless, thank you very much. Next I'll have to learn where to disable animations. Then, I don't know if I'll gain anything versus running Mate (which I use, with the Nemo file manager)

Mate is just too convenient for me, and not too heavy - it's gnome 2, and gnome 2 used to be heavy then computers caught up. My top panel is autohide, with stuff all moved around, and with CPU/RAM/Swap loads displayed right in the middle, CPU temp in top left, even real world weather. It doesn't look that good but those are very valuable features.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Yeah gnome is moving at warp speed right now. 3.4 is near outdated.

LoLzzz. Gnome 3.8 is ready soon.

Too bad shitty KDE cant keep up.
        GNOME 3.4 is not outdated yet.

GNOME 3.6 well or more accurately GTK 3.6 introduced annoying bugs. Just open a GTK application with active spinner in an Gnome 3.6 environment. And see how this application eats your CPU resources. Under Gnome 3.4 on the other hand spinners don't increase CPU load remarkably.

Here is the bug report:
        https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=684639

after almost a half year still not properly fixed, unfortunately.
        Last edited by Fenrin; 21 February 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Yes.. We can even feel concern about Gnome fucking up GTK3.
          They can do whatever with Gnome itself, though when they decide to fuck up a new component that gives more work to the fork such as Cinnamon and the Solus OS guy ; but GTK itself is at a risk.. One small thing, even with GTK 3.4, when you have a "Open with" dialog, it defaults to a "Recently used" virtual folder instead of remembering the directory you last used, so you have to manually navigate to your place of interest. Just because they know better and we're not meant to know where to put our stuff in the file system hierarchy, instead everything has to be "dynamic" or "everything is a search" or whatever.

There were horror stories too about Gnome removing features in zenity for fuck's sake, the little tool that allows to pop up GUI windows in a script, and thus allows lay persons to use your little hacked together thing. They don't give a shit about breaking people's scripts.

I wonder if even GTK3 will get forked, or the major apps stay on GTK2 indefinitely, or migrate to Qt5 or something.
          Last edited by grok; 21 February 2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            I wonder if even GTK3 will get forked, or the major apps stay on GTK2 indefinitely, or migrate to Qt5 or something.
            Yeah lets have a look at gimp. Latest gtk3 action is kept in this branch.

As seen; Very much alive. Merge to master depends on GEGL transformation to finish and branching next stable. So by that metric; Fuck Old GTK and fuck Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              Yeah lets have a look at gimp. Latest gtk3 action is kept in this branch.

As seen; Very much alive. Merge to master depends on GEGL transformation to finish and branching next stable. So by that metric; Fuck Old GTK and fuck Qt.
              Yay!

At this speed, we'll have half of our desktop running gtk3 apps by 2023!

GNOME3 at this point seems to be an interface written in Clutter for launching GTK2 apps.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                At this speed, we'll have half of our desktop running gtk3 apps by 2023!
                Well slow moving distros, apps and DEs are by nature ... slow.

Debian is moving to GTK3 in Wheezy, GIMP is merging GTK3 branch to master after next stable and XFCE is joining after next stable as well.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what are you really bitching about? Slow movers or GTK?

Comment

Working...
                X