Reduced Ads On The Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduced Ads On The Forums

By now you probably can see that most of the ads on the Phoronix Forums have vanished... There is no longer the leaderboard at the bottom or any extra ads on any other pages. The Kontera content links have also went vamoosh here on the forums. The only ad that is in the forums now is a single leader board along the top of the forums. That's it!

Tomorrow or Friday there we'll be introducing a new service if you want to get rid of all of the ads at Phoronix.com... Image, Flash, JavaScript ones, and even text ads...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

You'll have subscriptions? BTW, on sites like this that I really like and support, I actually leave the ads be, and from time to time click on them

(some have good deals on hardware stuff!)

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Michael Larabel

Comment

I see... Nice. Will it be possible to subscribe yearly?

/shameless edit

I should have clicked the payment link, it is possible. As the year is nearing its end, and as such I'm low on cash, I think a Phoronix Premium subscription will be the right way to start the new year (or if I can do it before, I'll do), thanks for the service.
        Last edited by Thetargos; 21 November 2007, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I might just subscribe to NOT see that Microsoft Dynamics ad on my Linux/Solaris enthusiast forums... >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            I might just subscribe to NOT see that Microsoft Dynamics ad on my Linux/Solaris enthusiast forums... >:-)
            Is it through AdSense that you're seeing it? As I had previously blocked all microsoft* domains after they were running the Get The Facts campaign.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

I really love this idea Michael, and for a modest 4$ a month I would say it is definitely worth it.

Comment

Michael, this is a good idea. My opinion is you can have the premium service running but also with the interest of keeping Phoronix afloat, bring back the other ads. Phoronix needs the ads to help its survival. Since people can now shell out $4 for an ad free version, I vote to bring back the ads.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                  Michael, this is a good idea. My opinion is you can have the premium service running but also with the interest of keeping Phoronix afloat, bring back the other ads. Phoronix needs the ads to help its survival. Since people can now shell out $4 for an ad free version, I vote to bring back the ads.
                  Ads on the forums have generated next to nothing... It's difficult enough selling ads on a Linux enthusiast site, and the ad performance on the forums have been less than stellar so it's actually not worth it keeping those ads there unless things change.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Is it through AdSense that you're seeing it? As I had previously blocked all microsoft* domains after they were running the Get The Facts campaign.
                    Yeah, it's AdSense- but, I find it hillarious, really.

If they think this is going to work, the're sadly mistaken. These ads, the ones MS has going right now, are going to backfire badly. If they're comparing Linux to Microsoft's stuff, they're already losing.

Comment

Working...
                    X