Open-Source GPU Drivers Causing Headaches In KDE 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I'm not sure you can really consider hardware capabilities that have been around for 4 years "so close to the edge".
    FAIL!

...so close to the edge in terms of driver functionality.

Comment

What about XRender? Is this going to offer a respectable framerate on HD3300 and a HD5770?

This is ofcourse not the way to go, but if it works as an interim solution I'd be happy.

Comment

Oh nevermind... it runs like crap! -_-

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          This OpenGL 3 madness is bullshit. Even in 2010, there are still D3D9 games with cutting-edge graphics, take Starcraft 2 as an example. It uses all the graphics techniques you would expect from a modern game, even though D3D9 is somewhere between GL1.5 and GL2.1 (based on what hardware you look at). If that game doesn't need more, neither does kwin or any other compositor. To maintain the highest level of compatibility, I would go GL1.5, using the CG Toolkit to compile my GLSL shaders to ARB assembly. Don't tell me kwin devs can't implement the Gaussian blur in the 64 ALU instruction limit. Using GL3 will perhaps make the devs look great, but it won't improve graphics or anything compared to what they can achieve with GL1.5. It seems to me to be like "hey look, I got GTX460 and I can use GL4 for no reason! cool, yeah!"
          I'm going to have to disagree with ya just a bit. GL 1.4 DX 7, GL 1.5 DX8 is dead. Disable or pop up you don't have necessary hardware to run this menu items that want to use that on the desktop. GL 2.0 and 2.1 should be the bottom lines. But once that's done a lot of infrastructre is built to use shaders. So getting opengl 3.0 3.2 and 4.0 is somewhat easier.

Shooting for opengl 3.0 on a compositer right now seems a bit whip cracky take a chill pill to me.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
            FAIL!

...so close to the edge in terms of driver functionality.
            There is no failure other then failure of the opensource drivers being able to fully support 4 year old hardware with a 2 year old API spec. I'm sorry you failed to understand that.

Comment

If you look at the manpower; the results and progress is remarkable, if not awardable.

Saying that the open source drivers are inadequate for todays expectations is probably a better way to discribe the problem

Comment

KDE developers designing and testing their software on the Nvidia blob, now that is a surprise, NOT! It's fine with me but then they should advertise their software as such.
                • KDE, minimum system requirements: Nvidia blob
                • KDE recommends Nvidia blob
                • KDE, best played with Nvidia blob

Because what they are doing now is very disingenuous. They willingly released their software knowing very well that it would cause severe problems for users not running the Nvidia blob, then after they got some flak from their user base they failed to take responsibility for their own actions and starting pointing fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Because what they are doing now is very disingenuous. They willingly released their software knowing very well that it would cause severe problems for users not running the Nvidia blob, then after they got some flak from their user base they failed to take responsibility for their own actions and starting pointing fingers.
                  Come on. This is an end-user issue, not a developer issue. End-users using KDE and not using nVidia blob should obviously be filing more bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    Even with the commercial backing of Trolltech and now Nokia the KDE folks are still so backwards that they are depending on Khtml instead of switching to Webkit.
                    It sounds like something similar to Qt vs Gtk. So, isn't Gnome backward using Gtk toolkit instead of Qt the same way as KDE is backward in your opinion using Khtml instead of Webkit? They have commercial support from Novell, Ximians, Red Hat and more. Why they're so backward then?

Comment

• Originally posted by drag View Post
                      [...]
                      Even with the commercial backing of Trolltech and now Nokia the KDE folks are still so backwards that they are depending on Khtml instead of switching to Webkit. Their solution? Make users choose to use the better renderer. If you don't understand why this is insane, then just keep further desktop discussions to yourself until you figure out some reality.
                      I'll give you a STFU since you have no fucking clue. Khtml has to stay! It is called binary compatibility.

The same baseless shit gets constantly repeated. Would you mind informing yourself first before doing that?
                      And before I forget it Khtml still has maintainers while hardly none was working on the WebkitPart.
                      That is the way FOSS works get used to it, do something yourself or **** off.

Yeah personally I prefer Webkit myself but that does not change the facts I mentioned above.

People like you annoy me as you have nothing productive to add and just spread hatred and bs. All that stupid blaming game helps no one and talking shit helps no one either.

@monraaf No, it is not KDE devs testing their stuff on Nvidia cards with Nvidia drivers but the KWin ones [1] since that is the hardware they _have_. Even if other devs report issues it is still hard to fix them if you can't reproduce them. And before I forget it older versions of KWin worked pretty nice on a very old Intel card I tried it once. Yeah that might have changed and then it is a bug but what you do is ridiculous.

And btw. show me a Nokia or former Trolltech funded KWin developer of importance for this problem!

[1] And Kwin does not have much manpower to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                      X