Help kindly needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help kindly needed

Hi, I'm asking for any of the kind phoronix community's members' help with a program im trying to compile. I've been trying to get this game development framework called game-editor (URL http://game-editor.svnrepository.com/code/trac.cgi/) to compile.

Since Im not such a good programmer (or a mediocre one either ) I'm having trouble compiling the application. It's a 2d game development tool, which can create games that run on windows, linux, and some handheld devices like the smartphone, winmobile phones, and theres a working port for google's android. Can anyone please take a look at the compilation instructions, get the code and try to compile it for me? It can be compiled in windows with either visual studio or mingw, or under linux.

Here's the compilation instructions:

http://game-editor.svnrepository.com/svn/code/trunk/compilation.txt

Thanks!

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Hi, I'm asking for any of the kind phoronix community's members' help with a program im trying to compile. I've been trying to get this game development framework called game-editor (URL http://game-editor.svnrepository.com/code/trac.cgi/) to compile.

Since Im not such a good programmer (or a mediocre one either ) I'm having trouble compiling the application. It's a 2d game development tool, which can create games that run on windows, linux, and some handheld devices like the smartphone, winmobile phones, and theres a working port for google's android. Can anyone please take a look at the compilation instructions, get the code and try to compile it for me? It can be compiled in windows with either visual studio or mingw, or under linux.

Here's the compilation instructions:

http://game-editor.svnrepository.com/svn/code/trunk/compilation.txt

Thanks!

So far, the compile instructions...heh...they're convoluted. I've been having problems with making it come together. It's no small wonder that you've had problems getting it to come together for you. Couple this with it using RakNet and you've got...issues.

While RakNet's good, unless you're doing this totally for freebies, you owe money (which is yet another change in his mind on how he's doing things- about the fifth so far since I've known about the lib...). It's NOT at all FOSS and unless you're willing to take on his licensing, while the environment might be good, this issue alone mars it.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 07 January 2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      So far, the compile instructions...heh...they're convoluted. I've been having problems with making it come together. It's no small wonder that you've had problems getting it to come together for you. Couple this with it using RakNet and you've got...issues.

While RakNet's good, unless you're doing this totally for freebies, you owe money (which is yet another change in his mind on how he's doing things- about the fifth so far since I've known about the lib...). It's NOT at all FOSS and unless you're willing to take on his licensing, while the environment might be good, this issue alone mars it.
      Well, yea, and I mentioned it to the creator of Game-editor. He said that it's ok for commercial use as long as the finished game does not make use of the raknet library. Its just needed for compilation, but games created with it can work without it. Though if they have any multiplayer component the developers might want to use another network library instead.

Comment

Well, yea, and I mentioned it to the creator of Game-editor. He said that it's ok for commercial use as long as the finished game does not make use of the raknet library. Its just needed for compilation, but games created with it can work without it. Though if they have any multiplayer component the developers might want to use another network library instead.
        If it's needed for compilation, it's used in the engine. I don't buy that line...

Moreover, he's got his own licensing that's problematic and could involve you with money. (The hint is the demo that won't produce anything other than Windows binaries for Windows and the same sort of demo for Linux. Couple that with things like saying that a GP2X uses the WinCE build tools... Uh... The GP2X is a LINUX handheld.

It's a nice idea and I'm trying to get it going for you, but it's got...issues...all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          If it's needed for compilation, it's used in the engine. I don't buy that line...

Moreover, he's got his own licensing that's problematic and could involve you with money. (The hint is the demo that won't produce anything other than Windows binaries for Windows and the same sort of demo for Linux. Couple that with things like saying that a GP2X uses the WinCE build tools... Uh... The GP2X is a LINUX handheld.

It's a nice idea and I'm trying to get it going for you, but it's got...issues...all the same.
          Well, he said that the source code is for the full game editor, not the demo, and reading the license anyone making commercial games with it dont have to pay him anything, until their sales reach 100grand. By that time, i think i'd be more than willing to hand him some cash.

Have you considered signing up to the game-editor forums and telling him about this? He reads the forums and answers very often.

And thanks, man. I appreciate the efforts your making. If this goes through, ill be certain to give you credit. And probably some other compensation too.

Comment

...so any updates on this??

Comment

...so any updates on this??
              BUMP for truth

Comment

Working...
              X