No announcement yet.

The Biggest Problem For A Linux PC Vendor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I miss something, but there are at least 2 companies which produce nvidia-powered laptops suitable for linux: system76 and lenovo. Yes, they achieve linux compartibiliry by disabling integrated intell graphics in bios. But if you want to enjoy a good GPU under Linux, this is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      Fire up Warcraf 2 under Windows Seven... is it playable? Not for me. Old software is outdated and using the wrong APIs/concepts, that's all there is to it.
      As for sound in general, with Linux and the ALSA layer I have done things with my soundcard I never thought were possible, I for myself say that it is a very nice piece of software.

and FYI : slashdot isn't as good a meter as you think.
      There are always badly written games and applications which don't work/can't be installed on Win7. But most (>75%) others still work. Even DirectX 6.0 games. From 1998. A shocker, right? Try running any binary game from that time under a modern Linux distro. Bad luck, huh?

Microsoft stands for its APIs, so does RedHat (with its 10 years of support and stable APIs across the entire software stack). Maybe RedHat's reference will give you a hint why compatibility matters. Still my initial post was about the state of sound in Linux, not about compatibility.

FYI, ./ is still the best website on the Internet in regard to the quality of users' comments. Maybe you know something better, care to share?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Keep on lol'ing.

Or show me any different website on the net which has the same density of high quality comments.
        There are a fair number of good comments on slashdot, but there are also a huge number of idiotic ones. The place is a mecca for trolls and idiots.

Getting some random people there to back you up says nothing, anymore than getting some random people here to give you thumbs up means anything.

The fact that you think it does says something, though.

Comment

I find it tought to believe this linux pc vendor is serious

The vast majority of laptops these days are sold with just an Intel iGPU. There's no reason for Linux laptops to be any different.

For gaming laptops or desktop replacement systems, the nvidia support would be a major problem - but surely that is a small piece of the overall market.

Comment

Unlike in Windows, sound in Linux often doesn't work for dozens of applications. And I don't want to Google why this or that application is muted. It's a major f* up. Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Linux. Can you hear anything? No. So, shut the f* up.
            Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Windows 7 . . . oh, wait, that probably won't work. As to your post about getting directx 6 titles to work, I've actually got quite a few D3D3 games installed and running under current wine. Ignition, Carmageddon 2, Destruction Derby 2, etc.

It's pretty obvious you're a shill of some sort. Maybe you should try to be more clever with your posts.
            Last edited by psycho_driver; 08 May 2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
              Laptops are not for hard gaming, and casual gaming even Intel can manage it.

And Ubuntu has a 100 hz kernel, not very good for gaming, better if they install 2 kernels, the low latency one and the generic one.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-lowlatency
              sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency
              sudo update-grub
              Does this actually make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                There are a fair number of good comments on slashdot, but there are also a huge number of idiotic ones. The place is a mecca for trolls and idiots.
                It was ground zero for geeks back in about 2000... you know, back when Microsoft was still relevant too. I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Comment

I really cannot understand what this free homepage hosting (founded by Yandex) has to do anything with your hollow baseless accusations.
                  Ok, I will list it up then:
                  a) Narod.ru is dump page, in similar matter what geocities once was. Want another example? ucoz.ru You can pretty much dump there anything.
                  b) "Baseless accusations" This aren?t. These are FACTS that a group payed by "microsucks russia", worried by speed at which linux distributed, combined with retardos that think Windows is godly, yet pirate it and almost everything about it, has come together to write FUD and bullshit. These "facts" you linked to are examples of bullshits of that group. It is amusing those retards even managed to translate it into engrish. If you want to read more, go ahead.
                  c) Refrain from posting this kind of BS, please. Nvidia does not support Optimus on Linux, true. Is it Linux fault? False. It is fault of nvidia and it is their problem, not of Linux. This was first half-valid issue on the "list" provided by you, but the whole crap is straight typical SLOR fairy tales.

If you want me to comment on head of "your"/"their" list, I will gladly bust this fairytale piece of crap. Regards.
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 08 May 2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Try running any binary game from that time under a modern Linux distro. Bad luck, huh?
                    My games seem to work fine. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Ok, I will list it up then:
                      1) This tiny webpage has nothing to do with this SLOR mess.
                      2) Would this page look more respectable if its author afforded a second level .com domain? Hardly so. Do you want to pay for it? Hell, no. So stop pointing to petty details which have nothing to do with the fact that ...
                      3) if Linux cannot run the hardware for which you've shelled out your hard earned dough, will it fucking matter for its target audience? F*, no. "Linux doesn't work", will say a punter and he's right, because the Average Joe just won't give a flying f* who's to blame for this ugly snafu.

At this point I'm ceasing my presence in this thread because it has drifted in the direction I'm not interested to discuss.

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                      Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Windows 7 . . . oh, wait, that probably won't work. As to your post about getting directx 6 titles to work, I've actually got quite a few D3D3 games installed and running under current wine. Ignition, Carmageddon 2, Destruction Derby 2, etc.

It's pretty obvious you're a shill of some sort. Maybe you should try to be more clever with your posts.
                      Quake 2, oh, sh*t! even the original Quake 1 binaries work just fine under Win7. But that's beside the point. I'm not going to argue with the people who don't really use the computer.

I'm done with trolls.
                      Last edited by birdie; 08 May 2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X