Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Linux Mint has been picking up more and more far as i know
    This is true since Unity came around, but what was meant is if Ubuntu had a total and complete failure to the point of both Ubuntu and Canonical being defunct status. Some would probably go pure Debian while I would guess a lot would go join LM and use their LMDE edition.

Comment

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
      This is true since Unity came around, but what was meant is if Ubuntu had a total and complete failure to the point of both Ubuntu and Canonical being defunct status. Some would probably go pure Debian while I would guess a lot would go join LM and use their LMDE edition.
      If Debian get off it's ass and release some up to date package's on release day ill use it but atm Debian 7.1 is so far out of date it's not funny what do you get out of it 2 or 3 year old package's, the LTS Kernal is the only part not out of date, i'm using Linux Mint here, but i want to see Debian stop being so far out of date it's not funny, maybe if it did like openSUSE on it's EOL's and Releases i use it, openSUSE has what kernal 3.7 and updated package's, and you get support for around 15mo's, i can remember

Comment

If Debian get off it's ass and release some up to date package's on release day ill use it but atm Debian 7.1 is so far out of date it's not funny what do you get out of it 2 or 3 year old package's, the LTS Kernal is the only part not out of date, i'm using Linux Mint here, but i want to see Debian stop being so far out of date it's not funny, maybe if it did like openSUSE on it's EOL's and Releases i use it, openSUSE has what kernal 3.7 and updated package's, and you get support for around 15mo's, i can remember

Xubuntu user here and I agree, that is one thing I don't like about Debian. I'm kind of person that likes having the very latest (currently running Xubuntu 13.10 dev release). Also find things easier to do through Ubuntu than directly through Debian, as I have tried LMDE in the past and it confused the hell out of me for some reason. xD

Comment

Xubuntu user here and I agree, that is one thing I don't like about Debian. I'm kind of person that likes having the very latest (currently running Xubuntu 13.10 dev release). Also find things easier to do through Ubuntu than directly through Debian, as I have tried LMDE in the past and it confused the hell out of me for some reason. xD
          i just want the most stable latest OS i can find, Debian also need's to add non free to it's main repo's as well

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            What you haters don't understand is that for most people Ubuntu == Linux.
            So now when I ask you to back up your claims I am a hater? That is really an astonishing discussion technique, one could think you are Bill O'Reilly.
            Ubuntu has become too big to fail. If it fails it takes everybody down with it.
            For sure, Red Hat will go down when Ubuntu fails. Suse will do the same, you say? And Slackware, a distro existing for 20 years now, without using Canonical technology? Wow, just wow.
            So you should actually learn to support Mir and all the devs focus on it especially since it moves so fast and leave Wayland for later.
            Without Wayland they wouldn't even have XMir, so how fast is it again? Maybe tomorrow I fork GCC and claim that everybody should support me, because I have created a compiler with the feature set of GCC in one day, moving so fast. The only difference to Mir/XMir would be that my fork actually would work.
            Linux on the desktop is where it is due to Ubuntu.
            I have seen you make this claim before and asked you to back that up with actual data. Do you think that you can do it this time? I seriously doubt it, since backing up claims seems not to be part of your discussion technique, but I ask anyways.
            Everybody should actually help them since most Linux users are Ubuntu users.
            Wait, does this mean that you have factual data on that and that that data tells us that Ubuntu has more than 50% marketshare in the Linux space? Would you like to show us that data? Oh, wait, I forgot that you don't do such things.
            If Ubuntu dies everybody moves back to Windows and Linux will go back to basement dwellers, their dogs and Richard Stallman the loser weirdo who said that Ubuntu is bad and the community should teach them a lesson. It is the opposite in fact, Richard Stallman and his loser friends need to shut up and go to their corner. They've had their time. All they got was a shitty 1% of the market. Now fuck those jokers and let's try something else!
            Wait, didn't you just state that Linux on the desktop is where it is because of Ubuntu? Now you attribute that to Stallmann?
            Do you understand that by sabotaging Canonical you are actually sabotaging yourselves? Even you Gentoo users! Linux benefits from having many users.
            Wheren't you the one who stated that supporting Canonical is the right thing to do so that all other distros can die? Now you say the exact opposite, not supporting Ubuntu will harm the other distros? May it be that you today do not know anymore about your arguments from yesterday?
            Do you want it to wither all away, all that was gained so hard and for so much toil? Your rebellion against Canonical will come back to bite your asses. In fact it will chew you whole. So the only option for now is to support Canonical, even if you don't agree with all their decisions. Their success will trickle down to lesser used distros.
            Again, do you mean those distros that in your opinion shouldn't even exist? Now they suddenly will benefit from Canonical?
            Canonical is basically like the American banks in 2008.
            You mean like: They brought themselves down with their shitty decisions and now those that do the actual work have to pay for that? Thank Bob that it is not to late, yet, those that really support Linux and bring it forward are not Canonical developers, but developers from Red Hat, Intel, IBM and others, those who actually make money of Linux, not some rich clown dreaming of being the next Steve Jobs.

I only can ask you again, although you won't even consider to do it: Back up your claims or GTFO.

Comment

May I suggest Windows? No need to upgrade every 6 fucking months... and have to relearn stuff because the designer thought they were smart...
              Is Microsoft paying you by any chance?

Comment

No thanks, I rather have my Debian servers in a well tested state than giving away stability for bleeding edge. If you want newer packages use Debian Sid or Testing, you are using it anyway when you are using Ubuntu or Mint.

Comment

But Ubuntu != Linux, Linux = Linux. Ubuntu = GNU/Linux. Also if Ubuntu fails, Linux Mint would defintely pick up a lot of the slack, since they have an edition based directly off Debian cutting out Ubuntu from the mix.
                  What it is doesn't matter here, but the general public perception, and that is Ubuntu==Linux.
                  And a lot of Ubuntu users will not try another distro even if it came with cookies.

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  What you haters don't understand is that for most people Ubuntu == Linux. Ubuntu has become too big to fail. If it fails it takes everybody down with it. So you should actually learn to support Mir and all the devs focus on it especially since it moves so fast and leave Wayland for later. Linux on the desktop is where it is due to Ubuntu. Everybody should actually help them since most Linux users are Ubuntu users. If Ubuntu dies everybody moves back to Windows and Linux will go back to basement dwellers, their dogs and Richard Stallman the loser weirdo who said that Ubuntu is bad and the community should teach them a lesson. It is the opposite in fact, Richard Stallman and his loser friends need to shut up and go to their corner. They've had their time. All they got was a shitty 1% of the market. Now fuck those jokers and let's try something else!
                  I agree in some points. If Ubuntu falls, it's very likely most of the non-enterprise desktop will fall with them, since the general perception is actually Ubuntu==Linux. However, that doesn't make it less prone to fail. Mir might be a good solution, and time will tell. But XMir is a crap one. And a crap solution in the distro most people think Linux is means a huge chance that a lot of users will go back to Windows, as simple as that. They won't consider other distros, because even when most people know there are a lot, most people also think Ubuntu is the best and easiest one, and if that becomes shitty then it must means everyone became shitty. On the other hand, the only side where that fall is likely to affect the remaining users is in gaming. All of the rest of development is still needed by enterprise users, and those are the ones who pay for things on the Linux desktop. Wayland, checked. Drivers, checked, we had closed drivers before Ubuntu even existed. Desktops, checked. Most of Ubuntu users (not all of them), specially the ones likely to switch back to Windows put zero money to fund it and have near zero technical knowledge, so the only loss they represent is market share (that's why it will affect to porting games).
                  Do you understand that by sabotaging Canonical you are actually sabotaging yourselves? Even you Gentoo users! Linux benefits from having many users. Do you want it to wither all away, all that was gained so hard and for so much toil? Your rebellion against Canonical will come back to bite your asses. In fact it will chew you whole. So the only option for now is to support Canonical, even if you don't agree with all their decisions. Their success will trickle down to lesser used distros. Canonical winning will actually help improve the whole Linux community. Canonical is basically like the American banks in 2008. You bail them out or else....
                  However, nobody is trying to sabotage Canonical, the ones sabotaging them are themselves. If they shoot themselves in the foot, as a user, tester and promoter of Ubuntu, I must point it out before it's too late and hope they hear.

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                  I'm on Xubuntu, too, and I wonder what is easier than Debian. Can you give me an example?
                  Everytime I needed/wanted to do something remotely advanced I had to check Debian's wiki.

Comment

May I suggest Windows? No need to upgrade every 6 fucking months... and have to relearn stuff because the designer thought they were smart...
                    Then why do you use Ubuntu?
                    Debian doesn't update every six months, but Ubuntu does.
                    Debian doesn't change things often, but Ubuntu does, as we are discussing one of those changes here.

Comment

Also if you go with LTS release, you only need to upgrade every 2 years minimum.

Comment

Working...
                      X