No announcement yet.

Expected 8.4 features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The situation seems quite dramatic to me: here is what I got trying to install on Ubuntu Gutsy 64bit:

~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    [sudo] password for matiee:
    (Lettura del database ... 147624 file e directory attualmente installati.)
    Spacchetto xorg-driver-fglrx (da xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg-divert: `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx' ? in conflitto con `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
    dpkg: errore processando xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):
    il sottoprocesso pre-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 2
    Sono occorsi degli errori processando:
    xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

As you see option --force-all didn't help at all.
    Please, I really have no more idea on what to do.
    Can someone help?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

I had to modify driver.preinst and driver.postrm and fix those dpkg-diverts. For you, they should be under packages/Ubuntu/dists/gutsy. Find the lines where there is a divertion from libGL.so.1 to libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa (should be around line 71 and 74 for driver.preinst and 28, 32 for driver.postrm) and modify it to libGL.so.1.xlibmesa then rebuild the packages.
      Last edited by c0un7d0wn; 16 April 2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c0un7d0wn View Post
        I had to modify driver.preinst and driver.postrm and fix those dpkg-diverts. For you, they should be under packages/Ubuntu/dists/gutsy. Find the lines where there is a divertion from libGL.so.1 to libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa (should be around line 71 and 74 for driver.preinst and 28, 32 for driver.postrm) and modify it to libGL.so.1.xlibmesa then rebuild the packages.

Not easy to me, but finally it worked well.
        Thank-you so much!

Comment

So: what about these new release?

A pain in the butt to have them up and "working", just because somehow it must be very hard for AMD to recognize a bug that prevents the whole product to get installed before it gets released to the world... But what do I know?

And now? 5 hours of struggle just to find that absolutely nothing seem to have changed: in particular Xv overlay is still unusable with AIGLX. And it NEVER worked: NEVER, since AIGLX support was supposed to be included with fglrx drivers.

And last: drivers up since 30 seconds, try to open a music file with totem (wanted to see how the goom visualization was rendered with these new drivers) and immediately the whole X server crashes and the system freezes.

But it's not too bad... The last usable version (will have to downgrade this time too) was 8.443. At least it was a bit more stable than now, and it's just 5 months of useless, crappy releases ago. Not too bad.

Bunch of pathetic m@#$%s...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
            Seems to me that you have some cooling issues on your computer. I believe that your card is running hotter due to the drivers, but in worst case they would only be able to generate as much heat as running any 3D intensive application, and your computer should be able to cope with the heat.

You might wanna check your heatsink, thermal paste and coolers.

Just my 2c .
            I have checked my heat sink and I just did again, I also have replaced the thermal paste. It helps every time a clean out the dust, but it still gets to hot. The only what I don't get corruption is if I leave the side of my case off and clean the dust out of the heat sink once a month.

At this point I'm pretty much hoping it will die so I have a good excuse to buy an nvidia card.

Or I might just take a sledge hammer to it and post it on youtube. It really depends on how short my patiences gets with it along with how many more time fglrx crashes on me. radeonhd is stable for me but what good is a 3D card if you can't play quake...

Comment

hai..i would like to ask about howto edit the driver.preinst and driver.postrm since im using hardy 8.04. I got same problem with this thingy...

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0*.deb
              (Reading database ... 102708 files and directories currently installed.)
              Preparing to replace xorg-driver-fglrx 1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.12-16.34 (using xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
              * Stopping atieventsd [ OK ]
              dpkg-divert: `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx' clashes with `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
              dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):
              subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
              * Starting atieventsd [ OK ]
              Errors were encountered while processing:

Comment

There is horrible tearing in XV and openGL on x200m even without compiz. With compiz it is completely unuseable. Tearing is everywhere, browser can't scroll with normal speed.

Work Ati, the sun still high!!

Comment

Originally posted by alya84 View Post
                  hai..i would like to ask about howto edit the driver.preinst and driver.postrm since im using hardy 8.04. I got same problem with this thingy...

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0*.deb
                  (Reading database ... 102708 files and directories currently installed.)
                  Preparing to replace xorg-driver-fglrx 1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.12-16.34 (using xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
                  * Stopping atieventsd [ OK ]
                  dpkg-divert: `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx' clashes with `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
                  dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):
                  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
                  * Starting atieventsd [ OK ]
                  Errors were encountered while processing:
                  8.04 drivers for Hardy are on the repos already. Much simpler

Comment

Originally posted by Matiee View Post
                    8.04 drivers for Hardy are on the repos already. Much simpler
                    Are you sure? It seems not:

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                      I have a small list of bugs I have been able to run across in my time using fglrx, mostly game bugs/slightly slow performance:

- Performance still isn't quite there as we all know, hopefully they will be able to resolve and bring us a bit further to that peak performance.

- The Savage 2 player model bug needs to be fixed.

- Glest freezes upon creating a building, if you don't move your cursor for a few seconds it will come back but as soon as you move again with the transparent building it will freeze again complaining about buffer underruns in the console. This may not be a bug with fglrx, it could just be a glest problem.

- Finish their work on Xv its nearly perfect already.

- Fix AGP HD 2xxx cards.

- Support HD 3xxx cards officially.

- Implement the pointsprites for Kano.

- More compiz fixes.

Theres their list of mine, of course theres many more problems than that but I either forgot about them or don't know about them. This list isn't even that long, you'd think they'd be able to handle that within a month or two but of course they have other priorities..
                      Xv ? Perfect ??? .... it still flashing when I'm not in full screen with my 9800XT ! .... Did I miss a solution ?

Comment

Working...
                      X