The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
    these benchmarks are worth nothing... mir doseny have bypass yet so its point less to benchmark it...
    the final version is gonna fix that untill then all this are useless benchmars to fed wars and get more trafic :P
    Let's see. Xubuntu is testing XMir, a few weeks before feature freeze for this release, so they need feeback on the performance of Xubuntu under XMir, ASAP. And they asked for that. And Michael did just that, as a service, for free.

Now, what exactly are you complaining about?

Thanks Michael, keep up the good work, man!
    Last edited by mendieta; 06 August 2013, 02:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      this is in dev yet lol ofc the perfomance is not good as normal X. do the same with wayland, ups wayland not works i forgett
      No one sane would do such a thing with Wayland because it's entirely pointless to run and entire DE on top of a compatibility layer. With Wayland, there's a stable protocol that allows developers to write their own Wayland compositors, which can run Wayland natively, so there's no need for kludgy hacks like running a DE on XMir is. Mir has nothing comparable to offer, it serves no one's purposes except Canonical's, and even Canonical is going to suffer because of this idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        No one sane would do such a thing with Wayland because it's entirely pointless to run and entire DE on top of a compatibility layer. With Wayland, there's a stable protocol that allows developers to write their own Wayland compositors, which can run Wayland natively, so there's no need for kludgy hacks like running a DE on XMir is. Mir has nothing comparable to offer, it serves no one's purposes except Canonical's, and even Canonical is going to suffer because of this idiocy.
        this is not true, theres a good reason to run the DE on mir (for what i understand), drivers! the software layer will be X.org and drivers will be mir (X+Mir=xmir) wich means x.org no longer manages the drivers mir does.
        i might be wrong but this is what i understand about it.

Comment

this is not true, theres a good reason to run the DE on mir (for what i understand), drivers! the software layer will be X.org and drivers will be mir (X+Mir=xmir) wich means x.org no longer manages the drivers mir does.
          So, are there any drivers for Mir out there?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            intel, ati and nvidia work with the opensource drivers.
            canonical claims they should have the closed source ones before 14.04 untill then when your using closed source you will fallback to pure X, so id you only care about performance you got NOTHING to worry about since you will be running pure X.

Comment

By running XMir, they still require DDX drivers in order to get 2D acceleration. They are still running the same 3D Mesa drivers. The only difference is that Mir (i think) is handling mode setting now. I'm not even certain about that.

Oh, and of course the proprietary drivers still only work with X. Which means that Ubuntu has to complicate things and run Mir + XMir sometimes and just X others, and makes a huge mess out of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Mir simply uses Mesa/DRI2 drivers but with a small yet unsupported patch to add a Mir back-end to Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Because it's a potential candidate to the successor of X.org.
                  Not for me.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Right now it's a race between wayland and mir, and while mir is younger and less supported by the community, it's catching up really fast.
                  Mir is a joke (a bad one).

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    By running XMir, they still require DDX drivers in order to get 2D acceleration. They are still running the same 3D Mesa drivers. The only difference is that Mir (i think) is handling mode setting now. I'm not even certain about that.

Oh, and of course the proprietary drivers still only work with X. Which means that Ubuntu has to complicate things and run Mir + XMir sometimes and just X others, and makes a huge mess out of everything.
                    i dont see what is so complicated.
                    when botting ubuntu detects what drivers are you running and loads either mir + xmir or x.org, im i wrong?

Comment

intel, ati and nvidia work with the opensource drivers.
                      canonical claims they should have the closed source ones before 14.04 untill then when your using closed source you will fallback to pure X, so id you only care about performance you got NOTHING to worry about since you will be running pure X.
                      Oh, the same drivers you use with X.org. So, where's the point of using XMir, again?
                      I use only open source drivers.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      The only difference is that Mir (i think) is handling mode setting now. I'm not even certain about that.
                      Isn't that handled by the kernel drivers?

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Mir simply uses Mesa/DRI2 drivers but with a small yet unsupported patch to add a Mir back-end to Mesa.
                      Oh, I'm aware.

Comment

Working...
                      X