Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transform Feedback, OpenGL 3.0 Ready For RadeonSI

Phoronix: Transform Feedback, OpenGL 3.0 Ready For RadeonSI

The AMD "RadeonSI" Gallium3D driver for Radeon HD 7000/8000 series hardware support by the open-source Linux graphics driver is about to support OpenGL 3.0. While the hardware is capable of OpenGL 4.4, the open-source RadeonSI driver has only advertised OpenGL 2.1 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what effect would/do these patches have on performance?

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
      what effect would/do these patches have on performance?
      None, it's a new feature. (Unless some app tries to do this on the CPU if the extension isn't present and just uses it to speed things up, but that seems unlikely)

Comment

So, does it just enable 3.0 or right on up to 3.1? ow much longer till the last bits of 3.2 are hammered out so that we can jump up to full 3.3 compliance? How much longer till we have OpenCL support? Can we finally have both OpenGL3.3 and OpenCL 1.* enabled by default on the spring of 2014 set of distros?

Then and only then can we start complaining about a lack of 4.* support.

Comment

Marek Ol??k <3

We love Marek Ol??k! <3

// Proud member of The Official Marek Ol??k Fanclub!

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            So, does it just enable 3.0 or right on up to 3.1? ow much longer till the last bits of 3.2 are hammered out so that we can jump up to full 3.3 compliance? How much longer till we have OpenCL support? Can we finally have both OpenGL3.3 and OpenCL 1.* enabled by default on the spring of 2014 set of distros?
            3.1 requires UBOs and TBOs
            3.2 requires geometry shaders
            3.3 is pretty much done once 3.2 is finished

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              We love Marek Ol??k! <3

// Proud member of The Official Marek Ol??k Fanclub!
              I wasn't aware there was one, though I can't say I'm surprised - Marek and the rest of the new open source radeon developers are probably the best decisions AMD has made in a long time. While their work only affects a small fraction of customers (especially when you consider how heavily intel and nvidia outnumber ATI/AMD GPUs), they're still very productive and don't seem to show any signs of slowing down.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Marek and the rest of the new open source radeon developers are probably the best decisions AMD has made in a long time.
                I agree. What AMD pays their OSS developers earns them a lot more than just the technical merits produced by one or more programmers. It's a great PR move. And not just the optics of it.

Since so many of said developers pop in around here from time to time, we as users actually have (limited) access to AMD's driver development team/department. I don't care how much faster anybody says that nVidia's drivers are by comparison, they can't touch what we have.
                Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 04 September 2013, 11:57 AM. Reason: Intel users have this same access too.

Comment

I'm attempting to get OGL 3.0 working via radeonsi, but I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to get it to go. I've got the git version of xf86-video-ati and ati-dri-git (both compiled yesterday) and the 3.4svn LLVM -- do other patches have to manually be applied, or are all the patches already in the development versions of these packages?

Comment

(looks like I can't edit the post so here's an update)

Looks like I was able to get OpenGL 3.0 working with this package in the Arch User Repo:

Which had these flags enabled (that mesa-git did not):

# --enable-gallium-gbm \
                    # --enable-xvmc \
                    # --enable-xorg \
                    # --enable-r600-llvm-compiler \

Didn't do enough testing to see which of those flags enabled it (though I suspect it was the llvm compiler?), but either way, if you're on arch this package does it. If you're not on Arch you can check the PKGBUILD (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...i-git/PKGBUILD) to see what flags were enabled when compiling manually.

Comment

Working...
                    X