Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU Library 0.8 Released

Phoronix: VDPAU Library 0.8 Released

NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has announced the release of libvdpau 0.8 as the library for the VIdeo Decode and Presentation API for Unix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope AMD switches to this with their new driver strategy. And Intel of course, but at least their solution works too.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I hope AMD switches to this with their new driver strategy. And Intel of course, but at least their solution works too.
      What do you mean? Fglrx? Thee FOSS Radeon driver has had working VDPAU support for some time now, and it works great for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        What do you mean? Fglrx? Thee FOSS Radeon driver has had working VDPAU support for some time now, and it works great for the most part.
        Yes. AMD is about to change how their proprietary driver works. It's gonna share a lot of code with the open source Radeon driver, like the same kernel component and stuff.

Comment

I am more for openmax as is also supports encoding.
          Anyone knows if it VDPAU supports 10bit on radeon as the HW supports it?
          I read that there was a plan to add it but dont know if it was integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Yes. AMD is about to change how their proprietary driver works. It's gonna share a lot of code with the open source Radeon driver, like the same kernel component and stuff.
            No, AMD is THINKING about changing their driver. And the ONLY change they've mentioned afaik is using the FOSS kernel component instead of their proprietary one, which would save on development time and user ease. No mention of "sharing a lot of code with the FOSS Radeon driver", as that would be pretty impossible (considering they're based around two COMPLETELY different architectures).

I wish somebody would just compile the AMD Mesa drivers for Windows (Mesa is built to be cross-platform and all) and see how well they perform over there. If they do well, the FOSS driver could become their one-and-only driver! I would do it myself but I am FAR from possessing the required skills to do so

Comment

Anyhows!! Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X