FFmpeg 2.1 Supports VP9, HEVC, PulseAudio Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    That is true. Though OTOH it only took VLC about ten years to get a feature like VDPAU. I can see how something that like that would be on the low end of the priority list. /s
    Until recently VDPAU was a single vendor solution only offered by the proprietary driver and VA API could, in theory, wrapped around the other APIs (although that never worked for me). Now with Gallium drivers only properly supporting VDPAU, the situation has changed.

Comment

So...does Linux Mint use libav or ffmpeg? If it uses ffmpeg I might switch over, I've only heard good things about ffmpeg and libav on Ubuntu isn't as full-featured as I want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
        So...does Linux Mint use libav or ffmpeg? If it uses ffmpeg I might switch over, I've only heard good things about ffmpeg and libav on Ubuntu isn't as full-featured as I want it to be.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and probably uses Ubuntu repositories, so it probably uses libav.

I myself prefer libav anyways.

Back on topic... I could've sworn ffmpeg has supported a pulseaudio output module for ages...

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
          Back on topic... I could've sworn ffmpeg has supported a pulseaudio output module for ages...
          It certainly supported PulseAudio input. As for output, it's hard to tell, typically you don't need to specify any options to ffplay to get the sound working...

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
            I myself prefer libav anyways.
            Why do you prefer libav? i see only that it waste many human resourcess. instead of making one better we have two on the same weel.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Meanwhile the VLC guys are not that stupid. There is still only one VLC.
              And VLC sucks, quality-wise. Compare an HD video with vibrant colors in VLC to the same video in Mplayer/2/MPV and unless you're blind you'll see that VLC is lacking.

Another thing MPV has that VLC doesn't (and almost refuses to add): Wayland support. MPV has a wayland back-end. I saw a thread where a VLC dev told a user that Wayland support wasn't coming in the next 2/3 years because they would literally have to re-write their entire back-end because it's so shit.

Note, this is coming from somebody who used VLC happily for over 2 years before finally getting into "which player is better and why".

And for those who complain about MPV not having a font-end, it includes it's own small one called the OSC (On Screen Controls). It's nothing fancy, but it allows mouse usage for the common stuff: Switching audio/subtitle tracks, seeking, fast-forward/rewind, chapter skipping

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                And VLC sucks, quality-wise. Compare an HD video with vibrant colors in VLC to the same video in Mplayer/2/MPV and unless you're blind you'll see that VLC is lacking.
                I only have MPlayer2 installed and I could never see a major difference. If you mean that colors are rendered differently, then maybe that't true but considering that I am capable of tweaking color settings, I don't care.

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Another thing MPV has that VLC doesn't (and almost refuses to add): Wayland support. MPV has a wayland back-end. I saw a thread where a VLC dev told a user that Wayland support wasn't coming in the next 2/3 years because they would literally have to re-write their entire back-end because it's so shit.
                [citation needed]

Considering that A) the Qt5 port of VLC is progressing and B) VLC has output modules for OpenGL and SDL (at least OpenGL works on Wayland with Mesa drivers), I don't believe you.

Comment

[citation needed]

Considering that A) the Qt5 port of VLC is progressing and B) VLC has output modules for OpenGL and SDL (at least OpenGL works on Wayland with Mesa drivers), I don't believe you.
                  I took some time to look at VLC output code. VLC OpenGL is actually GLX implementation. You still need Wayland Surface to draw into it. And while it has EGL module too, you need Wayland specific features. I've tried to do something, but never got far. I gave up. I need more skill, I guess

Comment

I only have MPlayer2 installed and I could never see a major difference. If you mean that colors are rendered differently, then maybe that't true but considering that I am capable of tweaking color settings, I don't care.

[citation needed]

1: Not just colors. The smaller issues just show up better on more "vibrant" videos, to complement the larger issues (like video brightness...)

2: Not the thread I saw, but close: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7936
                    ^Basically says that they would have to re-write the entire UI because even though they would be using Qt5, it would not support Wayland. Also, they would have to re-write their EGL output.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      It certainly supported PulseAudio input. As for output, it's hard to tell, typically you don't need to specify any options to ffplay to get the sound working...
                      Ah yes, that's what I was thinking, input. Thanks.

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Why do you prefer libav? i see only that it waste many human resourcess. instead of making one better we have two on the same weel.
                      I like libav better because I support the reasons behind their fork, however I don't want to drag that stuff up and start a discussion about it. You can look into it more on your own if you wish of course, but there's no reason to get into an argument about it. If people like ffmpeg more I don't care, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it and I don't feel the need to try and say my opinion is any better.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Yeah mpv is interesting... but the last time I checked it didn't work with any front-ends, kinda making it pointless. I think it would have been better to get a replacement communication framework in place first, then after front-ends had moved over to the new way, deprecate the old way. But that's just my weird way of thinking. I guess I'll go investigate what the latest is with the project.
                      There are at least two front-ends it works with, one of them my own personal media player I made and use and another I cannot remember the name of but it wouldn't be hard to find with Google I'm sure. Having worked with mplayer, mplayer2, and mpv for back-ends to my front-end, mpv is a much better thing to use for a back-end. The way mplayer and mplayer2 front-ends worked was by parsing command line output, which is an absolutely horrible way of doing things. mpv made a better way of doing front-ends, and any player that switched to it would be (in my opinion) much better.
                      Last edited by MWisBest; 29 October 2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X