Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Top Posting

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
    ...DMCA "treat EVERYONE as a terrorist/criminal" crap NEEDS to be seriously rethought
    Thanks for your interesting message, and I agree with you. However, placing the quotation after your response was rather odd, and made understanding the context of the message slightly more difficult. Top posting can make sense in a corporate e-mail thread, but on a web-based forum that records all messages for everyone, it hinders readability. (Of course, if most people here disagree with me, I'll gladly accept the majority will)

Comment

Imo the neatest part about open BIOS's is that BIOS's sometimes have bugs which the vendor will never fix. Then you need to have kernel hacks to workaround. If the BIOS is open, developers can keep working on it until it Just Works (tm).

Comment

Response should ALWAYS be above the quote, otherwise you have to scroll through a mile of crap to get to the new stuff.

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
        Thanks for your interesting message, and I agree with you. However, placing the quotation after your response was rather odd, and made understanding the context of the message slightly more difficult. Top posting can make sense in a corporate e-mail thread, but on a web-based forum that records all messages for everyone, it hinders readability. (Of course, if most people here disagree with me, I'll gladly accept the majority will)

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
          Response should ALWAYS be above the quote, otherwise you have to scroll through a mile of crap to get to the new stuff.
          Gods, please don't start another flamewar. Top-posting vs bottom-posting is a bit similar to vim vs. Emacs. (Personally I think they're both wrong, you should only be replying to the sentences you want to reply to, not the whole damn thread (which happens often with newsletters) As in, the "quote, answer, quote answer, quote answer" style where you pull the quotes from arbitrary depths from the thread. No sense quoting if you're not even going to comment on everything that was said! )

Comment

Just watched the latest video from coreboot.org... He got to be the worst speaker of all time. Boredom can't kill you, but sometimes you'd wish it could

Anyway, I was surprised to hear why the name change from LinuxBIOS to CoreBoot -- and I will spare you the horror to watch it yourself:

Original the goal was to fit the entire Linux kernel in the flash, but as BIOS flash didn't get any larger, that could not be done.

So Core Boot will initialize the hardware, and boot a payload. http://www.coreboot.org/Payloads

So CoreBoot is not a BIOS, where you can do over clocking, setting the clock and stuff like that.

So I am wondering, can that be done from the OS?

Comment

I asked about overclocking in #coreboot IRC - they say it will be a part of coreboot at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I asked about overclocking in #coreboot IRC - they say it will be a part of coreboot at some point.
                Okay, pretty cool!

I was fairly sure that CoreBoot would never be main stream on desktop mainboards.

Just looked in my BIOS, and the only thing I need and can't live without is being able to set Cool'n'Quite to begin at 45 degress, so the CPU fan spins at the lowest below 45 degrees.

Besides PXE, all the other stuff in the BIOS: Don't need it.

Comment

At least you find bios editors for standard systems to add gpxe. Did that successfully on 2 Asrock SiS based socket A boards. The default PXE loader did not work at all for me, not even with gpxelinux.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    At least you find bios editors for standard systems to add gpxe. Did that successfully on 2 Asrock SiS based socket A boards. The default PXE loader did not work at all for me, not even with gpxelinux.
                    What is PXELinux? A BIOS replacement?

Comment

No, pxelinux.0 is part of syslinux. Newer syslinux versions also have got gpxelinux.0 which is basically the pxe core of gpxe added in front of pxelinux.0 - that can help partly broken pxe loaders, as you only have to replace that file. With that i could boot from a skge card which is only supported in an old private branch of gpxe (which somebody merged into mainline for me for testing). Without that the loader was too broken to boot.

Comment

Working...
                      X