Ubuntu 14.04 Might Drop OpenJDK Java Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
    Please Canoncial, can you tell me why is you are trying to loose your customers. Cross platform java apps are good for ubuntu compatibility. Also much of your userbase are developer who use Ubuntu as a easy to use linux base for developing. Are you planning to discomfort them more? Also please think about your server approah, although most professional production use Oracle JDK but default OpenJDK is good and easy enough for small scale deployment.
    Do you understand that they are not removing OpenJDK from Ubuntu but moving it to the Universe repository?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraaargh View Post
      Hum well, you're using a quite prehistoric version of Java: Java 6 We're already seeing Java8 around the corner !
      Since Java7, OpenJDK is THE reference impelmentation and 99.9% of application won't see any difference.
      It's astonishing to see how legends (granted they were true in the old times) are hard to overcome in people's mind.
      First of all, I stated earlier that I have removed OpenJDK from my installation and replaced them with Oracle JDK. That error message is not mine; i retrieved it online from Stackoverflow to prove a point.

Originally posted by Calinou
      Not only they can't do that because of license reasons, it's also proprietary, so no.
      READ my post again. I never asked Canonical to bundle Oracle JDK in Ubuntu or its repositories. I was SUGGESTING that Ubuntu tells its users to get their own Oracle JDK directly from Oracle themselves.

Comment

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 in the Ubuntu repository.
        please package openjdk-8!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          I won't know about that.

But i do know that every time I try to start IntelliJ i get a warning about
          I'll let you know that eclipse and intellij are perfectly usable with openjdk, whether it displays a "warning" or not. But it's interesting how you actually make an effort to replace free and open source software with partly proprietary one without even a quick check whether it's even beneficial in any way.

Comment

Tipping point

Is this a tipping point for the Java's slow demise?

I think Shuttleworth wouldn't allow that if it would hurt Ubuntu Server in a significant way..

Comment

I kind of like it. I prefer things to be compiled to binary if possible. However, I fail to understand from the article what was wrong with OpenJDK to quit using it by default. As said by actual Java users, that shouldn't be a decision to make lightly.
              OTOH, maybe it will give motivation for more maintenance on GCJ, maybe even get it to build Tomcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraaargh View Post
                That said, discarding OpenJDL from main Ubuntu is a strange move as I imagine the cumber of developpers using it every day is quite high...
                Technically what is the problem ? Does Ubuntu has many specific patches to apply to OpenJDK ? What justifies it ? Seems strange to me...
                I find it odd as well. That's not the first time I hear of Ubuntu-specific Java issues, too. For instance: http://androidonlinux.wordpress.com/...-adb-on-linux/ It says that there are no problems with that on Mint, and I also verified that there are no such problems on openSUSE either... So it makes me wonder what Ubuntu is doing with OpenJDK...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  But it's interesting how you actually make an effort to replace free and open source software with partly proprietary one without even a quick check whether it's even beneficial in any way.
                  I also got that warning and tried both Oracle and OpenJDK, but couldn't find any graphical errors with OpenJDK. The performance (mainly start up time though) was also equally bad with either so in the end I kept OpenJDK.

Comment

Ubuntu maintainers are incompetent, so that they find maintaining OpenJDK difficult is no shock to me... They do not maintain many things anyway... Outside a few core apps and libs, all other packages are heavily outdated most of the time...

But i wouldn't worry about it. Developers and other professionals never use Ubuntu to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      Might as well drop OpenJDK completely and direct users to the official Oracle implementation of Java since it has better performance.

OpenJDK is always the first package to be uninstalled in any distribution I use, being replaced with Oracle JDK
                      That certainly used to be the case, back in the days of Java 6, where OpenJDK was effectively a fork of the open-sourced parts of Java, and didn't work particularly well. But under Java 7, there's no practical difference... the official Oracle releases are based on OpenJDK...

Comment

Working...
                      X