Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS Update 105 Lands New AMD Linux Driver

Phoronix: SteamOS Update 105 Lands New AMD Linux Driver

Valve has pushed out their latest build of the SteamOS Alchemist Linux gaming operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So when are we suppose to see those in store Steamboxes? I could never see a good reason to self-install this OS - just using regular Debian and installing Steam on that gives you a much more refined installation process and experience, and you get the full desktop with the option to just make Steam autostart in big picture if you want to use it as a console.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      So when are we suppose to see those in store Steamboxes?
      I think this fall.

Comment

So when are we suppose to see those in store Steamboxes? I could never see a good reason to self-install this OS - just using regular Debian and installing Steam on that gives you a much more refined installation process and experience, and you get the full desktop with the option to just make Steam autostart in big picture if you want to use it as a console.
        I agree,
        webup8 had an installer that put SteamOS as a choice on Login. Just like choosing between DE's. It uses the full compositor and is exactly the same full SteamOS. Alternatively, if someone came out with a nice animated BURG type boot loader with selections for either Debian / SteamOS / Winblows and made it selectable using the steam or xbox controller (simple left right to select image and click to load) then that would be quite a good way to dual purpose a machine and keep the console feel without any need to type if you didnt want to.

Comment

One reason, as this article demonstrates, is that Valve bring SteamOS-specific updates that you won't get with regular distros like Debian + Steam. They brought out controller updates, graphics updates, etc. specific to SteamOS. Whether they make any big difference is another story.

Comment

As it's open source you should find it soon in the Ubuntu etc. updates. They still need to provide 64bit Steam, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
              One reason, as this article demonstrates, is that Valve bring SteamOS-specific updates that you won't get with regular distros like Debian + Steam. They brought out controller updates, graphics updates, etc. specific to SteamOS. Whether they make any big difference is another story.
              I guarantee you there are repos available for Debian that provide the Valve patched software.

As it's open source you should find it soon in the Ubuntu etc. updates. They still need to provide 64bit Steam, aren't they?
              The shipping Steam binary is 32 bit. It requires a buttload of multilib stuff to get working on all distributions.

Comment

Working...
              X