Anything Up With OpenMoko These Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything Up With OpenMoko These Days?

Phoronix: Anything Up With OpenMoko These Days?

After writing last week about the latest open-source promise from VIA Technologies and documentation on the GPU for the Neo FreeRunner, it made me wonder what's up with OpenMoko going into 2012...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

uhm ... you totally ignored the GTA04, which could bring new life in the openmoko development

Comment

LOL, why didn't you talk about gta04?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

gta04, for the interested

Comment

There should be a new chassis bundled with the GTA04 board, easier to be bought by a broader audience. I still hope really, that this (or a similar) project comes forward. Advertised as a Phone that offers easy-to-use encryption etc., this would be very attractive not just to geeks, but also to political activists and other people who care about their privacy. Many people care about that nowadays, yet there is no big manufacturer who cares.

A variety of chassis's would be nice, the old ones design sucked

Comment

Hmm,
            the GTA04 project is really worth more than a small last sentence...

The community worked really hard in the last 2 years to manage to create a completly new and up to date smartphone based upon Openmoko's plans and principles.

Recently we had the Open Hardware/Software Workshop 2011 in Munich, where the results of those efforts (the final GTA04 board ? ready to buy) were presented.
            Then we had the FSOSHRCON'11 where we discussed the further evolvement of the FreeSmartphone.Org (FSO) and StableHybridRelease (SHR) software stack, which aims at Openmoko as it's main plattform.

Interessted people should have a look at: http://www.gta04.org
            and follow the gta04-owner mailinglist: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/

I already have my GTA04 (early adopter board) and it's really impressing!

Comment

Originally posted by slyon View Post
              Hmm,
              Current GPU driver state? Blob or OSS? WebM acceleration in DSP?

Comment

It has a DM3730 with a POWERVR SGX Graphics Accelerator GPU, so i think no full open driver yet. lots more details at:

and a very detailed manual

but how much do you need openGL on a phone? whats more important for you mobile gaming or an opensource phone? what phone do you currently use btw?

Linux didn't get were it is by people saying, "until it is opensource down to the BIOS, i'll keep using Windows"

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Current GPU driver state? Blob or OSS? WebM acceleration in DSP?
                  The GTA04 uses the PowerVR GPU, which is the default for the OMAP3 plattform used and the same chipset is used by TI's BeagleBoard.

The current state is:
                  * OSS 2D driver is available
                  * Blob for advanced features (OpenGL ES, video acceleration) is available

Though it seems like the manufacturers are willing to help with a fully OSS driver (including advanced features), as you can follow on phoronix.com:

Comment

Poor reporting from Larabel

Originally posted by slyon View Post
                    Hmm,
                    It seems that Mr Larabel wasn't aware that the GTA04 that exists now is nothing to do with Openmoko Inc.

When I read this article, I just thought "What is he talking about? He obviously hasn't got a clue what's going on with the Openmoko crowd".

I often despair with Larabel, so poor is his reporting. This article is a perfect example of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X