Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open ATI R600/700 Driver Gains Tiling Support

Phoronix: Open ATI R600/700 Driver Gains Tiling Support

For those of you not interested in today's ATI Catalyst 10.5 for Linux driver, if you pull the very latest open-source ATI Radeon Linux graphics driver stack there is now tiling support for the R600/700 (Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series) graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I miss the point here. Is the tiling in question the same as the one done by the window managers ?

Please Michael, add some technical background to your news for those not really into that field...

Comment

Is there going to be tiling support for R5xx?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
        Is the tiling in question the same as the one done by the window managers ?
        no. This is related to the internal memory layout used by textures/buffers in your video memory. Tiled buffers are faster because pixels that are close to each other are more likely to be in the same cache-line. They are more difficult to handle though, especially when you want to allow CPU access to the buffer in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtigyro View Post
          Is there going to be tiling support for R5xx?!?
          r300g along with latest xf86-video-ati from git and pretty much any KMS kernel supports full tiling. I began to work on it in January and it became complete and bug-free at the beginning of May, and that's also the first time it got enabled on KMS by default. It wasn't top priority so it evolved slowly.

r300c supports tiling partially.

Comment

Will this boost 2d and 3d performance, or just one of them?

Comment

what do you mean with 1D???

Comment

The 1D and 2D names refer more to the levels of hierarchy than to dimensions (eg 1D is small tiles, 2D is bigger tiles made up of small tiles). The tiling modes we chose to use just happened to have a "D" in the name.
                Test signature

Comment

I tested the patches yesterday and I haven't seen any regression so far. Performance really exploded in ut2003 - previously I wasn't able to reach anything over 25fps when ramping all detail settings up (1024x768 res) but now the framerate never drops below 55fps (in fact the engine seems to throttle the fps somewhere around 60fps).

Nice work there!

Anyway, I applied the drm patches to the latest drm-linus branch.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                    ... but now the framerate never drops below 55fps (in fact the engine seems to throttle the fps somewhere around 60fps).
                    Nice to hear that it's working for somebody. Isn't 60Hz the refresh rate of your monitor?

Comment

Working...
                    X