To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldar View Post
    Well, ok, but the sales for 69xx has already started. How people are supposed to use the cards if driver support will only appear in January?
    Because those guys use the cards with Windows and a driver comes with a companion disk.
    Linux users get to stick their card in the closet and wait and pray for the day they will be able to use it to it's full capability.

Yes, I'm a grumpy "glass is half empty" bastard (in other words, realistic).

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
      i'm really not happy about this.

but how cares? amd think linux users are 1-2% and 1-2% can wait 1-2 months
      1) Not following market trends
      2) Hidden plot with microsoft
      3) Ignorance
      4) Imperfection

What will it be?

Comment

i'm really not happy about this.

but how cares? amd think linux users are 1-2% and 1-2% can wait 1-2 months
        Entirely agree, but although 1 month is ok to me, 2 months is a completely different thing, which is enough to put me away. Looks like I'm gonna be buying the card in January anyway, so let's wait and see.

Comment

an normal human do not know this because the 2011.1 catalyst isn't released yet

sign an NDA join the beta program and test it by yourself.
          Common, how can they sell cards with drivers only available under NDA for a selected minority!

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            1) Not following market trends
            2) Hidden plot with microsoft
            3) Ignorance
            4) Imperfection

What will it be?
            None of the above. What does a normal user need a new card for other than gaming? Nothing.

They most probably think that good drivers = more people going Linux = more people wanting open source = open source games everybody freely gets = no more development of games as the companies get zero money = no need for newer card = ATI out of business.

For those who do not see it, the above logic is bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr James View Post
              None of the above. What does a normal user need a new card for other than gaming? Nothing.

They most probably think that good drivers = more people going Linux = more people wanting open source = open source games everybody freely gets = no more development of games as the companies get zero money = no need for newer card = ATI out of business.

For those who do not see it, the above logic is bullshit.
              I'll give you an answer for that:

Nowadays, people are buying more laptops than ever, you just don't need a high-performance discrete card to play games. You want one discrete card for:

- Video decoding / encoding capabilites. (One of the most common uses for a graphics card nowadays).

- OpenCL / GPGPU programming. (Most developers want these features)

- High performance game playing. (Those people called as "hardcore gamers" want one)

For most "ordinary" people, you're not buying a card just for gaming, but also for watching videos or sometimes, do some programming (mainly if you're a Linux user ).

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post

Nowadays, people are buying more laptops than ever, you just don't need a high-performance discrete card to play games. You want one discrete card for:

- Video decoding / encoding capabilites. (One of the most common uses for a graphics card nowadays).

- High performance game playing. (Those people called as "hardcore gamers" want one)

For most "ordinary" people, you're not buying a card just for gaming, but also for watching videos or sometimes, do some programming (mainly if you're a Linux user ).

Cheers
                And those are the features that ATI often doesn't include or at least, they're not optimized or working properly. Just going by posts here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  And those are the features that ATI often doesn't include or at least, they're not optimized or working properly. Just going by posts here.
                  Yes, unfortunately I've to agree with what you said...
                  Without some workarounds and knowledgement of Linux, ATI's fglrx driver only works well for a small amount of AMD/ATI Linux users... But when it works, it doesn't give any major problems too...!

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post

Cheers
                    Oh really? You need a high end card to watch a movie? For programming? You compiling with your GPU? You gaming while watching blue ray vids?

My old 9600GT plays anything I throw at it. My new HD5750 is in the closet waiting for AMD......

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                      Oh really? You need a high end card to watch a movie? For programming? You compiling with your GPU? You gaming while watching blue ray vids?

My old 9600GT plays anything I throw at it. My new HD5750 is in the closet waiting for AMD......
                      Well, I'm not going to answer anymore to this troll... This is my final answer to you, Mr James:

If you're not satisfied, and your intention is to play Windows games on Linux, why don't you simply do like most ordinary people and create a dual-boot Windows-Linux solution (Linux for common-day use, Windows for playing games / some program compatibility)? Is it too hard for you?!
                      Aaaah, I forgot... Maybe you don't know how to use Linux / create a dual-boot solution at all...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X