Valve Is Making All Their Games Free To Debian Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Hah, I do wonder whether many Debian developers will make use of the offer. Steam and its DRM is rather far away from the Debian guidelines, and those developing Debian are probably not very interested in supporting proprietary, DRM'ed software, even if it's provided to them as freeware.

Exactly ? that's why they have the power to release their own games DRM-free. But they don't. Quite the opposite, they *added* DRM to games like Half-Life, which initially didn't have any. So Valve clearly endorses DRM. And no, the "benefits" of Steam integration are absolutely not worth it. Especially since DRM is no part of those benefits, they could exist much better if they used a FOSS framework for that.
    At a a minimum of Valve's own games Half-Life 2 is DRM free, I know because I tested it my self.

Comment

free HL3 when is out! , wish I was a debian dev. ;/

poor ubuntu devs...

but a number of them are also debian devs so

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Why does Valve need to provide Debian developers with the entire Steam category? Not even Valve's own employees get free games. That gets into illegal territory. This is simply a gift from Valve, who owns the licenses to the IP of their own games, to Debian developers. Valve does not own the IP for games that aren't their own even if they sell those games on their platform. They are merely a distribution middleman.
        Dig here for steam master account.
        I don't think it will be into any illegal territory, as long as an account is used up to agreement.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        Of course maybe we will come to a point where people release opensource games and sell "them", I mean selling the art-work that would work perfectly without violating the gpl and without violating the security of the users.
        You can sell gpl software no problem.
        Last edited by brosis; 22 January 2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          So if steam becomes dominant, will they as example stick to their low prices with rabatt weeks and such stuff.
          In what world is Steam not already dominant? There is xbox, playstation, and steam. Anything on the PC is dominated by steam.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            You can sell gpl software no problem.
            You can sell ice to an eskimo, too, but i don't think i'd describe that as a solid business plan. Everyone trying to make money off gpl software does it by selling services and support, not the software itself.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Yes, because this, open source games sucks like urban terror, tux cart, open arena etc etc, you can continue playing this, I wil play for you, battlefield 4 on my Windows 8.1 goodbye troll.
              You don't get the point. This discussion wasn't about open source games. But about DRM-free vs DRMed, so stop trolling (i.e. you distort what others meant for the sake of derailing the discussion, that's a classic form of trolling).

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Anything on the PC is dominated by steam.
              And it's not any better than dominating by Windows there. Luckily Steam is not the only digital distributor for games and there are DRM free options.
              Last edited by shmerl; 23 January 2014, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                Would you people please stop complaining about DRM and so on ... Valve is actually bringing gaming to Linux, which suffered from serious problems in this regard for a long long time. You can already see the improvements to Linux GPU drivers and these improvements will benefit all Linux games DRM or no DRM and even Linux desktops that use the GPU.
                Those that have a problem with Steam and all that comes with it can just avoid it, no one's making anyone use it but no matter how you look at it this is a very good thing for Linux, period.
                The tangent started because this situation is peculiar: Debian developers develop free software, thus giving them access to DRM'ed proprietary software doesn't seem like a particularly good fit.

We are already using DRM-free options and avoiding Steam, no problem. That doesn't mean that we can't criticise it. And again, Valve isn't playing nice with their DRM, they are adding it as a requirement to use Steamworks, and while you can have DRM-free games on Steam, they are never advertised as such and overall seem to be opt-out rather than opt-in.

Comment

Phoronix forums at its best again!

I really like threads like this one.
                  Original topic: "Hey, Valve is making a gift towards Debian developers, isn't that nice?"
                  Phoronix crowd: "But, but, but ... DRM, don't forget about the DRM !!!!111!!!"

I don't see the actual problem of you people, regardless if you have a problem with DRM or not, this is a nice gesture from Valve and it is totally up to the individual Debian developer if he/she accepts that gift or not.

You have a problem with Steam's DRM? Well, who cares, just don't use it, go to Desura or wait for GOG to support Linux. In the meantime I will buy games from Steam. Mainly Indie games by the way, so regardless if there is DRM or not, I support small developers that in turn support my OS of choice, using one of the largest (if not the largest) software distribution channels of the world, so that they don't have to deal with the distribution themselves and reach a far larger audience.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                    it's just a way for valve to say thanks to debian developers, since steamos is based on debian.
                    Don't go and do something ridiculous like bringing a succinct logical statement into this discussion... are you mad?

They're obviously not talking about that anymore, they're busy bitching about DRM... go bitch on Sony's/Nintendo/Microsoft/Apple forums/pages while you're at it guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      I don't see the actual problem of you people, regardless if you have a problem with DRM or not, this is a nice gesture from Valve and it is totally up to the individual Debian developer if he/she accepts that gift or not.
                      And that's exactly what we're talking about. Yes, it is up to them, but it goes against Debian principles, hence why it's relevant. It may be a nice gesture from Valve, but it doesn't excuse their practices, and it doesn't mean that people should stop talking about the DRM problem. To me it's surprising how many people attempt to defend Steam's DRM, given that it really gives no benefit to users at all (the whole point of DRM is to be an anti-feature). The whole thread wouldn't be about it if there were no people trying to prove otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X