Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Comments By Ryan Gordon On Linux Gaming, Drivers

Phoronix: New Comments By Ryan Gordon On Linux Gaming, Drivers

Our friends over at OSNews have written about the state of Linux gaming in a new editorial. What's interesting, in particular, are the comments by veteran Linux game porter Ryan "Icculus" Gordon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The article is called the State of Linux Gaming not the Stage of Linux Gaming

Might I also add that they've written a great article
    Last edited by FireBurn; 15 November 2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

- NVIDIA is the real and only choice for Linux for anyone wanting to get full power from their GPU under linux. We know this from ,mm, 2001?

- EA, Blizzard, Activision, Capcom and Squaresoft are the real gaming companies (there are others of course). If these don't get into the Linux world, sorry to say but:

Linux != gaming

Hopefully Michael will understand this..

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        - At the end of the day, he still recommends NVIDIA hardware and their binary driver for Linux. "If you don't have moral objections to closed-source drivers: get an Nvidia GPU."
        There's also a pragmatical side to using the open source driver. As a Debian unstable user, I want to update my kernel and X server as I want, not as third party graphics drivers release schedules dictate me. And my meager AMD 890GX is enough for me, even if handicapped my Mesa.

Comment

List of commercial linux games - 2011:

1. Magical Diary: Horse Hall
          2. Family Farm
          3. Puzzle Moppet
          4. Hacker Evolution Duality
          5. Scoregasm
          6. Bullet Candy
          7. Color by Numbers – Animals
          8. Color by Numbers - Flowers
          9. Color by Numbers – Halloween
          10. Color by Numbers – Princesses
          11. Color by Numbers – Vehicles
          12. Dress-Up Pups
          13. Beep
          14. Atom Zombie Smasher
          15. NagiQ
          16. Starry
          17. Captain Backwater
          18. Temple Of Tangram
          19. Clone Wolf: Protector
          20. Inside a Star-filled Sky
          21. Crayon Physics Deluxe
          22. Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
          23. Trauma
          24. Digitanks
          25. Age of Fear: The Undead King
          26. Bobby
          27. Monster RPG 2
          28. Helena The 3rd
          29. Out of the Park Baseball 12
          30. Dino Run SE
          31. Revenge of the Titans
          32. A.Typical RPG
          33. Kansei
          34. Infinite Game Works
          35. Super Space Rubbish
          36. Project Black Sun
          37. Marball Odyssey
          38. Lucky Rabbit Reflex
          39. Blocks That Matter
          40. Cardinal Quest
          41. VVVVVV
          42. Deepak Fights Robots
          43. No Time To Explain
          44. Catch the shark
          45. Kl?tzchen - Klassik Edition
          46. Kl?tzchen - Kristall Edition
          47. Kl?tzchen - Retro Edition
          48. Always Remember Me
          49. Love & Order
          50. Planet Stronghold
          51. Spirited Heart: Girl's Love
          52. SpaceChem
          53. Blue Libra - Strategia
          54. Cogs
          55. Dungeons of Dredmor
          56. Hammerfight
          57. Frozen Synapse
          58. Thunder Fleets
          59. Trine
          60. 7 Wonders: Magical Mystery Tour
          61. Chainz Galaxy
          62. Circular chaos
          63. Memory Owl
          64. Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi
          65. Unlikely Suspects
          66. Volley Brawl
          67. Chocolate Castle
          68. Jasper’s Journeys.
          69. The Binding of Isaac
          70. Zen Puzzle Garden

linux installer:

Myth II: Soulblighter: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/sho...ii-1-7-2-linux

Wine:

Incognito
          SickBrick
          1941 DX Dual Players
          Last edited by gbudny; 15 November 2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

"albeit it was never publicly released" -> albeit never publicly released

Comment

(Yeah, I'm obviously biased here.)

Any engineer worth his salt know that the simpler the system the better. As Gordon said: "the best game experience will always be the native game."
              That's only true if such a port is actually done by skilled developers. If a port is done by people not terribly familiar with the target platform you can easily get a better experience by running the game in Wine instead. E.g. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40401.

I'd like to go one step further than that though. If the application in question is closed source anyway, you're likely to be better of running the application in Wine in the long term. You can be pretty sure that Wine will get updated to work with changes in the underlying platform (although admittedly that may sometimes take a while), while that's far from certain for random closed source ports. I.e., with Wine you're not going to have issues like applications linking to ancient versions of libstdc++ or libSDL, which then won't be available at some point in modern distributions. To put this another way, I think the goal should be more Free Software games rather than more "native" games. I don't think there's necessarily much value in running native Linux closed source games over running Win32 closed source games.

Comment

Originally posted by Henri View Post
                (Yeah, I'm obviously biased here.)

That's only true if such a port is actually done by skilled developers. If a port is done by people not terribly familiar with the target platform you can easily get a better experience by running the game in Wine instead. E.g. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40401.

I'd like to go one step further than that though. If the application in question is closed source anyway, you're likely to be better of running the application in Wine in the long term. You can be pretty sure that Wine will get updated to work with changes in the underlying platform (although admittedly that may sometimes take a while), while that's far from certain for random closed source ports. I.e., with Wine you're not going to have issues like applications linking to ancient versions of libstdc++ or libSDL, which then won't be available at some point in modern distributions. To put this another way, I think the goal should be more Free Software games rather than more "native" games. I don't think there's necessarily much value in running native Linux closed source games over running Win32 closed source games.
                well said.
                but i would say that better goal would be more versatile Free Software gaming engines (something based on OpenGL >3.0, OpenAL, OpenCL, for physics and AI calculations, LUA or such for scripting and FFMpeg, for media files support, would be a good start. but more tools for working with dynamic (motion capture) and programmable animation are needed). gaming engine is a tool, everything else in the game is pure data and unlikely to be given for free or licensed on terms where every buyer can resell infinite copies of it.
                the best situation we can hope to be in is when DRM-free game data packages can be bought (licensed under their proprietary license), interpreted and launched by any version of such an engine, starting from the one it was developed for. game data, for that to be feasible, should be abstracted from every other software beyond the engine (and no, virtualisation software and selling snapshots doesn't cut it, if someone was thinking about proposing such).

even though Gordon is in no way a stupid guy, he's reputation really weakened in my eyes because of shit like MojoSetup, FatELF and all those statements about "moral objections" and that distribution should not support F/OSS drivers just because they not in feature-parity with closed unstable crap.
                all that is quite a bullshit, especially "moral objections" thing. i sick of people declaring that F/OSS movement is about morals, like some kind of fucking religious group. that's a load of crap. it's about [professional] ethics, those are different things. it's about being 100% assured that your interests will not be stumped or spitted upon by software vendor at will. it's about guaranteeing that you suddenly will not be dictated how to process and handle your data or get into situation where your very working tools can only be rented and not owned.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  - NVIDIA is the real and only choice for Linux for anyone wanting to get full power from their GPU under linux. We know this from ,mm, 2001?

- EA, Blizzard, Activision, Capcom and Squaresoft are the real gaming companies (there are others of course). If these don't get into the Linux world, sorry to say but:

Linux != gaming

Hopefully Michael will understand this..
                  hey you forgot super mario ! ...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Except with their Optimus fiasco, which instantly brings their Linux support to zero.
                    Without Linux Optimus support from Nvidia, my Nvidia chip is a brick inside my computer, and this is a big step backward!

Comment

Working...
                    X