Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
    Was there an ETA on the sale of the phone. Can't find it anywhere.
    Due for release in 2014.

Comment

Mark said the first Ubuntu for Android high-end devices are shipping H2 2013.
      Ubuntu Phone OS powered phones will ship in early 2014.
      It is running X.org at the moment and uses Qt5 QML for native applications.
      They target low-end and high-end devices equally.

Comment

As little disappointed

I was expecting an actual device of some kind, like a phone or tablet. Instead it's just a software announcement that may not go anywhere. This is a very competitive market, just look at how Palm has failed , and they actually had some real marketing and devices.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Mark said the first Ubuntu for Android high-end devices are shipping H2 2013.
          Ubuntu Phone OS powered phones will ship in early 2014.
          It is running X.org at the moment and uses Qt5 QML for native applications.
          They target low-end and high-end devices equally.
          Isn't this similar to what jolla is using?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            It is running X.org at the moment
            Really? How they achieve X.Org Server running on top of Android drivers that doesn't support GLX?

Comment

Were his feet nailed on the floor? Or the legs completely faked?
              I could not see once that there was the slightest movement below his hips...

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                Were his feet nailed on the floor? Or the legs completely faked?
                I could not see once that there was the slightest movement below his hips...
                Would you have preferred him to finish each side with a pelvic thrust?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Really? How they achieve X.Org Server running on top of Android drivers that doesn't support GLX?
                  I am pretty sure Ubuntu for android and ubuntu phone are sperate products. Ubuntu Phone OS seems to be a standard GNU/Linux stack.

Also for development they use Qt5 and QML (for native), or HTML5 and web apps.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
                    I was expecting an actual device of some kind, like a phone or tablet. Instead it's just a software announcement that may not go anywhere. This is a very competitive market, just look at how Palm has failed , and they actually had some real marketing and devices.
                    They use the nexus 7 as a reference platform for their tablet development. Not exactly what you asked for, but at least something:

IMO, they can't wait until everything is done with announcing. That wouldn't be very open. Ubuntu/Canonical may not be best in class at openness compared to other desktop linux distributions, but they pretty damn great compared to all the current big players in the tablet/smartphone space. I don't know where this is going, but I don't see any harm (for the rest of us) in them trying.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

Canonical officially announced Ubuntu Phone OS today, it's attempt at pushing the popular desktop Linux distribution onto mobile devices. However, for the moment, if you're just an end-user don't get too excited...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NjU
                      I hope theyre using the Firefox runtime for html5 in order to access the system features.
                      Too bad about them going with Qt. EFL seems a much better choice for low end hardware.
                      Also I was very surprised by the features shown. Much more impressive than what was shown by Jolla, IMHO. Very usable and actually nice looking. The gestures looked natural and easy to remember without requiring the odd contortions of the "finger roll" that Jolla is using.
                      Still, I prefer FFOS and since they have actual hardware partners and launch dates I think they are going to be a better position despite their interface not being as nice as the Ubuntu one.

Comment

Working...
                      X