No announcement yet.

ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 was the year I abandoned all Linux efforts with AMD/ATI and switched to Windows 7. I did it for the fully realized features of the CPU and GPU (well, IGP) and the price of the new OS (@ student price).

While I appreciate the efforts of paid and not-paid support of Linux, I could not jump ahead to an HTPC environment that included Blu-Ray and new (2009) hardware.

I still have my server farm running RedHat (which is pretty much bullet-proof), and a few boxes with old nVidia cards testing H.264. So while I haven't given up on Linux as a home theater solution for my clients, I am not where I thought I would be at the end of this year.

Comment

Jup, ATI sucks for Fedora 12, but opensource radeon driver is quite good so there is much less need for closed source fglrx driver.

Phoronix staff why don't you also do year in review for opensource ATI driver?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
        2009 was the year I abandoned all Linux efforts with AMD/ATI and switched to Windows 7. I did it for the fully realized features of the CPU and GPU (well, IGP) and the price of the new OS (@ student price).

While I appreciate the efforts of paid and not-paid support of Linux, I could not jump ahead to an HTPC environment that included Blu-Ray and new (2009) hardware.

I still have my server farm running RedHat (which is pretty much bullet-proof), and a few boxes with old nVidia cards testing H.264. So while I haven't given up on Linux as a home theater solution for my clients, I am not where I thought I would be at the end of this year.
        ATI is definitely wrong choice for Linux Media Center. I have used Linux Media Center based on NVIDIA GPU + AMD CPU whole year and it works fabulously!

I just bought new Asrock ION330 Netop that is just made for Linux Media Center, installed MythBuntu, XBMC and Boxee, it just works (tm)
        FullHD 1080p replay uses only few percents of CPU because all decoding is done on NVIDIA GPU.

I have Fedora 12 running on all of my laptops, one for work and one at home and all works just perfectly.

I suggest you revisit your Linux experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          I have written my own "ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review" for the open source drivers.

AWESOME!
          Where can we read this article?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            I have written my own "ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review" for the open source drivers.

AWESOME!
            Is it in the Fantasy section?

Comment

Year in Review:
              2D works
              3D doesn't work - either crashes or fails

*just noticed if you have a Lenovo Thinkpad with Display Port, you're out of luck as it's not supported at all....

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Year in Review:
                2D works
                3D doesn't work - either crashes or fails

*just noticed if you have a Lenovo Thinkpad with Display Port, you're out of luck as it's not supported at all....
                I just installed Fedora 12 on HP 17" laptop with ATI Mobile chip and it works with opensource radeon driver just great when on Fedora 10 I just had to install ATI proprietary driver right away to get anything to work on that laptop.

So obviously the opensource drivers have gone a long way in one year... but ofcourse YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  Is it in the Fantasy section?
                  If you think about it. Early last year the R600 dri driver was in it's infant stages unable to correctly render a trivial program drawing a white rectangle on a black background. Before the end of last year the R600 dri driver has progressed so far that it can run complex games like Half-Life 2 without problems. I would say that's a pretty awesome accomplishment.

Sure there are many wine games that still won't run but I think that's just a matter of ironing out bugs. And of course we are still waiting for R800 support.

Comment

I was hoping that the OSS support for the older Mobility Radeon cards would work better with 3D but there are still issues or bugs present.

I thought the updates to kernel 2.6.32 and other updates/upgrades to X.org etc. might result in some stability but not yet. There are still inconsistencies, for e.g., from distro to distro and peculiar experiences in that 3D is not a smooth or 'working' experience in many cases.

'Might just be the older hardware but that is all I have right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X