No announcement yet.

AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't build the module with Linux 2.6.21. It says me, that it's using a GPL-incompatible function called pvirt_ops (or so).

Is there any patch available?

Here's my build log:
    Last edited by the-me; 31 May 2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Compile your kernel with CONFIG_PARAVIRT=n

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        the polish one is awful, though :]
        I agree, the Polish amdcccle translations aren't the best.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ohkay, XVideo is still broken for me (Thinkpad Z61m, X1400).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            FEDORA USERS, READ THIS
            Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed). If you manually update your xorg.conf and then restart X, fglrx will fail to load and you'll find a backtrace in your Xorg.0.log. So if you need the fglrx drivers to survive, don't upgrade to Fedora 7 just yet. Stay tuned to the forums for more information. This issue with 8.37 should not cause problems with Fedora Core 6 or previous versions.
            Hi Michael,

Do you have any information (that you can disclose) if ATI soon will be releasing an updated driver that will fix this issue? Soon meaning something like in the next week or so.

For ATI: Fedora Core 6 has millions of users. It looks like Fedora 7 will be even bigger. I sincerely hope (and respectuflly encourage you) that you will issue a new release that will fix the problems on Fedora 7 at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
              Hi Michael,

Do you have any information (that you can disclose) if ATI soon will be releasing an updated driver that will fix this issue? Soon meaning something like in the next week or so.

For ATI: Fedora Core 6 has millions of users. It looks like Fedora 7 will be even bigger. I sincerely hope (and respectuflly encourage you) that you will issue a new release that will fix the problems on Fedora 7 at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
              Patrick
              AMD will not be deviating from their standard release cycle in order to provide a fix for a distribution that isn't even officially supported by AMD.

8.38 in June is the best case scenario.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                oh well. talk about timely r600 support. it was supposed to be in a couple of releases ago.
                And you'll wait a while longer, I suspect... R600 support is (currently...) only available with the Orca codebase- which means they've got a lot of tuning and optimization work to do before that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  AMD will not be deviating from their standard release cycle in order to provide a fix for a distribution that isn't even officially supported by AMD.

8.38 in June is the best case scenario.
                  Which is a bit odd, considering that the distribution in question is the BASIS for the distributions they DO support- they'd be better served to just break down and support Fedora in the first place...

Comment

This one is almost working, gets closer, some users actually did get it installed, though the deb created, fgrlx-driver (debian sid) is kicking out an error:

Code:
                    dpkg: regarding fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb containing fglrx-driver:
                     xserver-xorg-core conflicts with fglrx-driver
                      fglrx-driver (version 8.37.6-1) is to be installed.
                    dpkg: error processing fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb (--install):
                     conflicting packages - not installing fglrx-driver
                    Errors were encountered while processing:
                     fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb
                    Oddly enough however, after editing xorg.conf to use fglrx, one user got x to start and show that it's using 8.37.6 as its video driver, but another user failed to get x to start at all. So we dumped live testing and will wait to see what caused that issue.

All in all, more really bad work from ATI, and unless AMD comes out with a VERY strong statement about a serious change in directions by their new subsidiary ATI re Linux drivers, either Opening the driver source, or, at worst, opening the hardware specs so Linux developers can work on their own, ATI is permanently off our acceptable hardware list. So AMD's announcment better be really good. Not some marketing happy talk, something real. This is total b####t as far as I'm concerned, it's a joke, pathetic, and ATI sucks.

Whether ATI is incompetent, indifferent, or actually is deliberately pulling back on Linux video driver development as some have suggested makes no difference to end users, the result is the same, you can't count on them, their quality is garbage, and their support non-existent. Only a fool would buy ati today.

And I definitely am not interested in hearing ATI blame developers who are writing their installers for them for free for any errors, that's total nonsense, ATI needs to test their code that they put out, even when they do get people to write it for them for free, this approach is disgusting, it's almost incomprehensible to me how a company could do this bad a job without actively trying... with one exception, unless they are using bad outsourced programmers, which wouldn't surprise me to see at all, since one of the hallmarks I've seen of bad outsourced guys is terrible to non-existent testing and quality control.
                    Last edited by gfxdrone; 31 May 2007, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
                      This is total b####t as far as I'm concerned, it's a joke, pathetic, and ATI sucks.
                      I wish they'd listen to us here- they're NOT doing themselves ANY favors with this mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X