A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
    Dunno about that, everything I've read suggests they're pretty confident, there's a lot we're not yet privy to (some of it never).
    They'll def. have it done within 2014, I just hope Wayland gets the jump by at least a few mths, & that it's fully competitive.
    Even better would be fully open/transparent collaboration, & a merging (of sorts) between Mir/Wayland(Weston) longer-term.
    But I suspect we've just missed that bus, tragically...
    Ah, so it will DEFINITELY be done within 2014 (keeping in mind past absurd Shuttleworth promises)? Any chance it will exist on devices by then? Do they have any commitments from OEMs yet?

Comment

C'mon, lets not be cute now, Smartphones?
      Sorry, missed the 'like smartphones' the first time. Still, phones really aren't the most graphically-demanding consumer devices out there.

Comment

What's with the hate?

It is so annoying to see all this hate against Canonical and Ubuntu.

Among all GNU/Linux distributions, Canonical and the Ubuntu communities has been doing the most work to get the full stack of free software to the masses.

You can have some good software, but if the last 5% in terms of usability and polish is lacking, noone is going to use it.

Wayland developers: If something needs changing on a Wiki, ask politely to have it ammended.
        Phoronix: Writing divisive articles just to get readership is more likely to sink the ship than make it stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by barryr View Post
          Phoronix: Writing divisive articles.
          Divisive? You're defending Canonical and you talk about divisive?

The nerve of some people.

Comment

It is so annoying to see all this hate against Canonical and Ubuntu.

Among all GNU/Linux distributions, Canonical and the Ubuntu communities has been doing the most work to get the full stack of free software to the masses.

You can have some good software, but if the last 5% in terms of usability and polish is lacking, noone is going to use it.
            Canonical trail blazed a few years ago. Grabbing users like myself from Mandrake/Mandriva. But Canonical needs to wake a bit a smell the coffee. Certainly on the Desktop - Unity - does not compare favourably to the likes of KDE 4.10. I would actually contribute a subscription to Canonical if Mark put his developers to work on something useful - like better printer drivers, etc. - that the Linux Desktop clearly needs. It's his money to waste (and he is wasting a big chunk of it on redundant projects - rather than trying to work with Upstream projects) - but I find it sad that people don't recognise the slow slide into oblivion as it happens in front of their eyes! I would argue the Gnome Development team might share part of the blame for the direction Canonical has and is taking...

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Ah, so it will DEFINITELY be done within 2014 (keeping in mind past absurd Shuttleworth promises)? Any chance it will exist on devices by then? Do they have any commitments from OEMs yet?
              Yep it most probably will be, & you can quote me on that, I'll wager some money on it too if you're keen.
              I just hope a Wayland smartphone vendor (most likely a Sailfish one) beats them to the punch...
              Or if not, then I hope they're not far behind, & that the implementation is as a versatile/stable/snappy (or more) as Mir.

It is so annoying to see all this hate against Canonical and Ubuntu<SNIP>
              If you're too ill-informed or tunnel-visioned to see why there's lots of upset devs in F/OSS then that's your problem, not anyone elses.
              Last edited by jalyst; 11 March 2013, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Yep it most probably will be, & you can quote me on that, I'll wager some money on it too if you're keen.
                And what are you basing this on?

Comment

The very hate outburst proves the fact that Canonical > rest of "ecosystem".

First they ignore you. (2005)
                  Then they ridicule you. (2010)
                  Then they get angry at you. (now)
                  Then you win. (2014)

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Canonical is doing this work by themselves and not basing themselves on this 'linux community' because they cannot trust the linux community to do quality work
                    You are right, Canonical is not basing their OS on Debian, an outspoken community distro, because clearly debian is not able to do quality work. Oh, wait ...

Canonical could have helped linux but since linux was so against it they will have to leave them behind if they want to succeed. And that is what they are doing. They used linux while linux was on a relatively good path but since now it all goes to hell with all these clueless community leaders what do you want them to do?
                    So where is the announcement that they won't use Debian anymore, because they clearly lack a leader and are of no use for Ubuntu anymore?

we may finally see a true new operating system named Ubuntu
                    I neither can see an announcement that they write a kernel for their "true new operating system", it seems to me that they still rely on the effort taken by the community.
                    Ubuntu is going up and you will inevitably go down into oblivion.
                    Again, if Debian goes into oblivion Ubuntu will inevitably follow them. Just because they can't handle the workload for themselves, they are relying on this work, done by the community.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Yep it's gonna be a good time for Ubuntu while all this 'linux community' that is so hateful toward Canonical will fade away into the irrelevance they were on the verge of getting out because of Canonical. Canonical is doing this work by themselves and not basing themselves on this 'linux community' because they cannot trust the linux community to do quality work and since this community is so against them they are fed up with them. Canonical could have helped linux but since linux was so against it they will have to leave them behind if they want to succeed. And that is what they are doing. They used linux while linux was on a relatively good path but since now it all goes to hell with all these clueless community leaders what do you want them to do? Canonical has made the decision to diverge from the linux community because the community is against progress in the interest of the end user. This is an ambitious goal and we may finally see a true new operating system named Ubuntu that actually has a chance against Windows.

Sorry fedora openSuse arch and all others but you had no chance to be competitive. All you could do was try to hang on Canonical for as long as you could but your arrogance and ignorance kept you from doing that. Ubuntu is going up and you will inevitably go down into oblivion.

Get this into your heads: Canonical isn't rewriting so many pieces of OS because they have nothing better to do but because the linux community wasn't aligned with their goal of providing a great OS for the masses. This whole community finds it more important to be right than to be rich.
                      Canonical there, Canonical here... Canonical who? The same bunch of beginners that have spent two years for make a plugin (unity) just usable?
                      LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X