Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Phoronix: Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

The news has been quick to spread today that Electronic Arts will be making a brief presentation at the Ubuntu Developer Summit next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EA does have their "Orion" game service that's basically a competitor to Valve's Steam and Desura too. However, it's unlikely that they will be bringing Orion to Linux, at least initially. This Canonical deal is about bringing their games to Ubuntu and making them available through the Ubuntu Software Center.
    s/Orion/Origin/g

Comment

EA killed off lots of wonderful franchises of the 90's by buying out small but excellent studios.
      It's easy to hate them for "just" that and mostly releasing heartless cash-cow products lacking soul or at least tiny bits of innovation.
      Valve, in turn, still keeps up with their high quality standard and IMHO even manages to improve.
      On the downside, you don't get a new game from them every year. HL3...? :/

Comment

As some of us already predicted (what do we won? :P).
        I'm sure they are only going to bring popcap games, or games with bad sells on win. Hopefully I'm wrong with this one, but I doubt it.

Comment

YES, finally an anuall release of <random sports game>. Just what the linux desktop was missing.

Comment

Actually yes, thats something that we really need, we need games that sell the most, and sport games are among them.

Comment

I hate EA with a passion. They destroy every game concept they come across. They're the Justin Bieber of video games; making money simply because they target the vast majority of humans: the generic type, lacking taste, creative thinking and interest in anything that shows some depth.

Comment

no, not really...

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                Actually yes, thats something that we really need, we need games that sell the most, and sport games are among them.
                There are 2 points of view.
                1) we need it to make Linux more popular.(IMHO it will fail)
                2) People play this stuff.(no, they don't, not Linux fans anyway. Football is stupid anyway, not nerdy enough for PC game)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I hate EA with a passion. They destroy every game concept they come across. They're the Justin Bieber of video games; making money simply because they target the vast majority of humans: the generic type, lacking taste, creative thinking and interest in anything that shows some depth.
                  That. To put in Michael's terms: They are the AnhauserBusch of videogames.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    But by EA doing some linux things, would that not encourage other publishers to do the same?

Comment

Working...
                    X