NVIDIA Slaughters AMD Catalyst On Linux In OpenGL 4.x Micro-Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tusharkant15 View Post
    But isn't the benchmark testing frames per second? How is 750ti dishing out more frames than 780ti?
    This test is not intended to benchmark different vendors/ gpus. It reflects a specific problem and a couple of solutions to achieve the best performance (least driver overhead).
    This blog post is basically click bait.

Comment

Hi,

I am just going to be the ugly kid in the corner with the humpback and the protruding eyes who has not learned to run with the pack, and never will.

The benchmark is a great opportunity! One to learn from how to write better code and to measure existing code so it can be improved further. And it is of use to everyone - for Nvidia, for AMD, for Intel, for the Open Source community, any developer really. And what leads to better code leads to happier end users.

I will now go back to my corner and let the experts name and shame the heck out of the benchmark and the results. I do know why you are really doing it (so you can make sense of it ).

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I had multiple system-wide crashes on a daily basis the last time I tried an AMD card. Spent parts of a couple of weeks debugging with engineering assistance - all problems consistently pointed to the card. Switched it out for an Nvidia card and never had a problem again. I don't even run games or graphics intensive software under Linux - just some simple business stuff. Nvidia and Intel are smooth as silk - I figure why should I put myself through the misery with AMD? However, I respect them for trying, and I know AMD has a lot of fans for good reason. I just won't be one of them anytime in the near future.
        Same story. Replaced AMD 7950 with GTX 780, and core hangups have stopped. Now I can have month+ uptime easily. And games work flawlessly now.

Comment

You know I felt the same when I upgraded from a GT 630 to an R7 260X starting of the year. However I soon realized that it's got a lot to do with the games as well. I have all of the source games from valve and they work exceptionally well on my AMD card but when I run games from other vendors (Metro LL for example) they seem to be crap. Instead of people being so quick on pointing figures at AMD, should instead try and answer the question, why do games from valve span so perfectly on the entire GPU spectrum while most games from other vendors behave horribly? Valve clearly took their time to port their games and it clearly shows! I can say the same thing about games build using unity.
          The fact most people don't grasp what you have tells me how ignorant they are regarding the chain of responsibility from hardware to driver to application. Pissing on a device company when the talent writing the game is either geared for a specific vendor to leverage marketing advantage, or neither and it is just a lack of actual game programming talent, truly shows a lack of both understanding and maturity on the parts of the shills proclaiming one vendor over the other is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by flim View Post
            This test is not intended to benchmark different vendors/ gpus. It reflects a specific problem and a couple of solutions to achieve the best performance (least driver overhead).
            This blog post is basically click bait.
            Exactly.

Comment

nVidia has the best support for linux? I can go to irc.freenode.net and talk to the FOSS AMD driver devs directly. What's better than that?

Comment

well i explain

You know I felt the same when I upgraded from a GT 630 to an R7 260X starting of the year. However I soon realized that it's got a lot to do with the games as well. I have all of the source games from valve and they work exceptionally well on my AMD card but when I run games from other vendors (Metro LL for example) they seem to be crap. Instead of people being so quick on pointing figures at AMD, should instead try and answer the question, why do games from valve span so perfectly on the entire GPU spectrum while most games from other vendors behave horribly? Valve clearly took their time to port their games and it clearly shows! I can say the same thing about games build using unity.
                valve games 1 year ago work really bad with amd cards, after so much time is normal see some improving,... the problem is simply a new game arrives and you need a year of waiting to play the game, and don't compare a geme like metro with source games, look my example i can't play cs condition zero with a 6770m (last year) but i have good fps with a intel hd 3000, after change to nvidia i never had such type of problems

Comment

hm

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  nVidia has the best support for linux? I can go to irc.freenode.net and talk to the FOSS AMD driver devs directly. What's better than that?
                  maybe a driver who works well (amd opensource is better than fglrx), nvidia have the best drivers

Comment

So what is the problem with AMD? Catalyst being utter crap or the gaming industry developing with nvidia? If it was the last case, FOSS drivers wouldn't be so better than Catalyst, no?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      maybe a driver who works well (amd opensource is better than fglrx), nvidia have the best drivers
                      Well, I can't talk for radeonsi users, but evergreen/north islands work great. The driver is still in development, obviously, but it's in a great state already, and things keep improving (for example, there are more performance features in Linux 3.16).
                      You can imagine what would happen if AMD hired more FOSS driver devs...

Comment

Working...
                      X