• Show
Clear All

I can't argue with that logic.

If thinking counts then OK, it came from me
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      Let me put it in numbers then.
      1 person works 40 hours a week and you put 2 people on it. That's 80 working hours in total for one week. Yes, i say you can figure out if it's all legal to release XvBA documentation in that time. If it's not possible then it's because of bureaucracy. The time is enough to find it out.
      Remind me to never hire you to do any project estimates, at least where technology and the law meets. If it'd take 30 hours to understand the engineering and 30 hours to understand the legal contracts, don't estimate 20 hours to wrap it up.

You can estimate more like 30*30 = 900 hours trying to figure out what releasing one technical detail means legally and what one paragraph of one contract means technically. Then go into overview mode and apply puzzle theory, can you from the pieces combined figure out more than you should? Then start over.

Right or wrong, the content industry claims billions of dollars in losses due to broken DRM. Look up Capitol vs Thomas, for sharing 24 songs they got awarded $2 million in court. I'd find it likely that if AMD accidentally handed over the keys to the DRM there'd be a billion dollar lawsuit on their ass. Let's do two weeks of review for that, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There are (at least) two different topics under discussion here :

- opening the XvBA API implemented by the fglrx driver

- providing programming information for an open source UVD driver

They are totally different activities - one (XvBA API) started a while ago and is (hopefully) pretty close to being done, the other (UVD programming information) has not started yet and I don't expect it to happen for a while.
        They are totally different but very tightly bound to each other since one can't exist without the other.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I was talking about UVD programming information, but I'm wondering if you thought I was talking about fglrx/XvBA when I said "6 months" and that triggered your comments about how long things should take ?

Does that make any sense ?
        Yes it does.
        However in my "experience" 6 months is a LONG time! You can code and find out a LOT in that timeframe and that's why i think you can drastically reduce it. In my opinion to 2 weeks, but lets make it 2 months to keep you happy

To me this stuff is all moving to slow and i see to much messages like "6 months" and 6 months later no real noticeable changes (for the user! i'm sure a lot changes we can't see)...

But today something became a lot clearer though.. on the phoronix news for the 10.10 driver : "AMD or their AIB partners have yet to send us any Radeon HD 6000 series hardware, so Linux users are currently left in the dark." which makes me sad but does make me realize (again) that AMD is not caring that much about Linux video drivers..

A few questions.
        • How much people are at this moment CODING on the linux fglrx driver?
        • Has the legal investigation for UVD even started?
        • If pervious is "yes" then how long did it tok so far and how much longer is it gonna take?
        • Why don't you "sponsor" a few community people to work on the opensource r600g (gallium) driver? It's not expensive at all for AMD but gives a lot of benifit for AMD! My estimate: sponser 5 people for 6 months full time. That's about ~2500$ a month thus 12500$ for 5 ppl thus ONLY 75000$ for 6 months and you end up with a very complete r600g driver in just 6 months! I'm sure AMD can miss that money for the goal.

Note: don't hire me since i would need months to even do a "hello world" in video drivers.. hire more competent people. I know one that would be very happy!

Comment

However in my "experience" 6 months is a LONG time! You can code and find out a LOT in that timeframe and that's why i think you can drastically reduce it. In my opinion to 2 weeks, but lets make it 2 months to keep you happy
          i would need months to even do a "hello world" in video drivers
          Your argument seems to be "You, with your knowledge of how things work and what needs to be done, estimate 6 months. That feels like a long time to me so I think it will take you 2 weeks, maybe 2 months."

To me this stuff is all moving to slow and i see to much messages like "6 months" and 6 months later no real noticeable changes (for the user! I'm sure a lot changes we can't see)...
          If you're not running from xorg-edgers or installing the latest kernels etc, then it will take time for current development code to filter through. If you are, then I think you would have noticed significant changes. For example, my Evergreen card performs a lot better now than 6 months ago, and I believe that cards on the R600{c|g} drivers have seen one or two performance/functionality improvements in this time.

"AMD or their AIB partners have yet to send us any Radeon HD 6000 series hardware, so Linux users are currently left in the dark." which makes me sad but does make me realize (again) that AMD is not caring that much about Linux video drivers..
          I think you are being grossly unfair here. AMD hasn't sent a graphics card to a particular site within a couple of days of the launch of their product, and from this you infer that AMD doesn't care about Linux drivers? They would not have released such large amounts of documentation and be paying people to develop an open source driver that they did not care about (and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here). Give them a chance - does it not seem more likely that it was an oversight or an honest mistake?

[*]Why don't you "sponsor" a few community people to work on the opensource r600g (gallium) driver? It's not expensive at all for AMD but gives a lot of benifit for AMD! My estimate: sponser 5 people for 6 months full time. That's about ~2500$ a month thus 12500$ for 5 ppl thus ONLY 75000$ for 6 months and you end up with a very complete r600g driver in just 6 months! I'm sure AMD can miss that money for the goal.
          Would it be complete in 6 months? Is $2500 a month a reasonable salary for a highly skilled developer in the area? Do 5 sufficiently skilled developers want to work for AMD? Can they pack in their current job (assuming they have one) for just 6 months?

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
            Your argument seems to be "You, with your knowledge of how things work and what needs to be done, estimate 6 months. That feels like a long time to me so I think it will take you 2 weeks, maybe 2 months."

If you're not running from xorg-edgers or installing the latest kernels etc, then it will take time for current development code to filter through. If you are, then I think you would have noticed significant changes. For example, my Evergreen card performs a lot better now than 6 months ago, and I believe that cards on the R600{c|g} drivers have seen one or two performance/functionality improvements in this time.

I think you are being grossly unfair here. AMD hasn't sent a graphics card to a particular site within a couple of days of the launch of their product, and from this you infer that AMD doesn't care about Linux drivers? They would not have released such large amounts of documentation and be paying people to develop an open source driver that they did not care about (and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here). Give them a chance - does it not seem more likely that it was an oversight or an honest mistake?

Would it be complete in 6 months? Is $2500 a month a reasonable salary for a highly skilled developer in the area? Do 5 sufficiently skilled developers want to work for AMD? Can they pack in their current job (assuming they have one) for just 6 months?
            you are twisting and/or making my comments look way more negative then they actually are. I'm not gonna reply in your reply any further.

sjeeees....

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              "and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here)"

bridgman not not not bridgEman he is not a 'bridge'

and no bridgman isn't activ @ phoronix he is omnipr?sent omnipr?sent omnipr?sent omnipr?sent
              Sometimes, names actually mean something.
              It could very well be that one of Mr. Bridgman's ancestors worked on or designed a bridge
              ... which might imply a history of engineering in his blood.
              ... which would explain a few things

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Sometimes, names actually mean something.
                It could very well be that one of Mr. Bridgman's ancestors worked on or designed a bridge
                ... which might imply a history of engineering in his blood.
                ... which would explain a few things
                Hmm, in that case one of my ancestors was a Roman slave digging ditches..
                2000 years later so am I
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Yeah, I know the feeling. Some of the information about my ancestors suggests that they may have merely lived under a bridge.
                  Test signature

Comment

UVD is VERY VERY quickly starting to look uninteresting. XvMC on G3D!! WOO!!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      UVD is VERY VERY quickly starting to look uninteresting. XvMC on G3D!! WOO!!
                      This is what AMD devs wish for. In that case they don't have to bother with the documentation and people will stop bashing them for this...

Comment

Working...
                      X