Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing, Linux & Lenvik

Phoronix: NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing, Linux & Lenvik

Recently via email we were asked to run a comparison of the different anti-aliasing and image rendering options between the ATI/AMD and NVIDIA Linux drivers and hardware. Well, we have now run a few quantitative and qualitative tests at different anti-aliasing levels under Linux. For those that want to run the tests themselves with their own drivers and hardware, we also have provided instructions on how you can easily do so using the Phoronix Test Suite 2.4 "Lenvik" development build -- it is irresistibly easy.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very very nice feature. Thank you.

Comment

Interesting work. It's just too bad there's no ATI vs Nvidia comparison possible. So... What's the fan boy take on this one?

Comment

What about open-source Intel and ATI drivers? Can't they antialias?

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
          What about open-source Intel and ATI drivers? Can't they antialias?

Using AA on Nexuiz makes my HD4850 cry, so I guess the answer would be no.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
            Using AA on Nexuiz makes my HD4850 cry,
            Lol, I would love to see a bug report filed that exact same description.

Comment

Unless there's something wrong with my eyes (quite possible), the images for Nexuiz that have the thumbnails on the site have different lighting on the floor- the first one has a darker look, and then the second image is lighter on the floor. This isn't indicated on the delta image- is this because the anti-aliasing is not causing that?

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                Unless there's something wrong with my eyes (quite possible), the images for Nexuiz that have the thumbnails on the site have different lighting on the floor- the first one has a darker look, and then the second image is lighter on the floor. This isn't indicated on the delta image- is this because the anti-aliasing is not causing that?
                If you are using an LCD monitor, it's likely that the backlight intensity varies across the monitor's surface. So, to compare two images, you have to place them in the same location on your monitor. All LCD monitors suffer from this, except those with an LED grid backlight.

The other possible explanation is that the light transmitted through a liquid crystal display varies with angle, so tilting your monitor up and down a little will make dark areas seem brighter or darker, and tilting your monitor a lot will make all the colors change. Since the angle from your eyes to the monitor is different for each pixel, you won't see a perfectly uniform image on a cheap LCD, even with a perfect backlight.

Comment

NVIDIA Anti Aliasing Linux Lenvik

How do you get anti-aliasing to work with the new Alone in the Dark game? Ive tried everything and the jaggies wont go away.

Running Vista 32-bit, 8800GTS 512MB, Nvidia driver 175.19. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X