Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel SNA Ivy Bridge - September 2012

Phoronix: Intel SNA Ivy Bridge - September 2012

Due to the prolific driver development work being done by Intel's Chris Wilson to advance the SNA 2D acceleration architecture for the xf86-video-intel driver, here's some new benchmarks of "Sandy Bridge New Acceleration" when being run from an HD2500-class Core i5 "Ivy Bridge" processor using the new driver release from Sunday.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's all nice and everything, but this driver seems to require a fairly recent kernel, as it's not available for Ubuntu 12.04 or Fedora 16

Comment

I've not have time to dig deeper so I ask here: can SNA be enabled on Ubuntu 12.04?
      If yes can it be done without a complete xorg.conf and is it stable?

Comment

Originally posted by abraxxa View Post
        I've not have time to dig deeper so I ask here: can SNA be enabled on Ubuntu 12.04?
        If yes can it be done without a complete xorg.conf and is it stable?
        It requires an updated xf86-video-intel to a 2.20 series driver and an xorg.conf snippet to select SNA:

Code:
        Section "Device"
          Identifier "intel"
          Driver "intel"
          Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
        EndSection
        It should be stable, but it is as yet unproven, hence why it UXA remains the default for the time being.

These set of benchmarks still have some bogosity behind them. There should be no difference in the copy throughput since that is GPU bound using identical operations, but most of the rest can be explained with the choice of unity wm and using ubuntu. Comparing results from a mobile GT2 device (a i7-3720qm) with this article a deskop GT1 chipset, http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1209034SU66, we get the impression that the system under test underperformed significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
          These set of benchmarks still have some bogosity behind them. There should be no difference in the copy throughput since that is GPU bound using identical operations, but most of the rest can be explained with the choice of unity wm and using ubuntu. Comparing results from a mobile GT2 device (a i7-3720qm) with this article a deskop GT1 chipset, http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1209034SU66, we get the impression that the system under test underperformed significantly.
          I have some more cross-desktop 2D tests coming soon.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            That will be fantastic. As always the challenge I have is to address why the out-of-the-box experience with Ubuntu or Fedora or Gentoo or Debian or... never quite matches up to my expectations, which is frustrating.

Comment

+1, this is great a news indeed! looking forward to read these

Comment

Just an idea for a future pair (series? ;-) of articles: Pick a single benchmark (of reasonably short duration) and ask everybody to run it on their current system and upload to openbenchmarking.org, then have fun trying to make sense of the data.

Comment

Working...
                X