Unity 7, Compiz To Be Polished For Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by narciso View Post
    Now, that Unity + Compiz is finally getting stable and fast it's gonna be killed. Mir will take years to reach the same level and current driver support makes it even worse.
    My experience with 13.04 has been very good, moving windows around is finally smooth, and game performance is becoming at the level of Windows.
    12.04 lts in that matter is terrible, lots of tearing and stuttering.
    Which is why we need Ubuntu 14.04 to have Unity7+ as its base, or at least and installable option.

Someone whom actually knows how to write up this kinda of thing should do so and put it to the Unity developers to review. Please, please, please, someone do this and soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Which is why we need Ubuntu 14.04 to have Unity7+ as its base, or at least and installable option.

Someone whom actually knows how to write up this kinda of thing should do so and put it to the Unity developers to review. Please, please, please, someone do this and soon.
      Ubuntu will stick to X for a long time, I don't see usable desktop using Mir in the near future. Making an OS for phones is not the same as making an OS for PC. I don't like android like OS in my PC or the aberration that Google made for their laptops.

Comment

Maybe we could get Unity-Next (8) but without Mir running on good old X11 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          I can't help but feel that compiz was much better before Unity co-opted its development.
          It was.

It's a demonstrable fact.

Originally posted by narciso View Post
          12.04 lts in that matter is terrible, lots of tearing and stuttering.
          That's been my experience too. I'm afraid to upgrade to 13.04 though since I'm sure it's loaded up with all kinds of spyware and amazon affiliations and would probably be only supported for like 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Someone whom actually knows how to write up this kinda of thing should do so and put it to the Unity developers to review.
            Waste of time, I'm sorry to say. They have no interest in user opinions. None. They are very much like GNOME developers in that manner. "This is how it's going to be, deal with it."

There are significant, show-stopping bugs and other user experience frustrations that they refuse to address. Don't care. It's all phone focus now.

Every release is a beta release, including the LTS. Addressing user concerns is way, WAY down at the bottom of the priority list.

Comment

All the "spyware" can be switched off and uninstalled. I've tried 12.04 and I can't stand it, 13.04 is so much better and faster. Switch to it, you won't regret it.

Comment

Ubuntu is probably moving with such a fast pace to mir because they DO NOT want to maintain unity7 for the next LTS cycle. The unity8 codebase must be so much cleaner not only because using QT/QML2. 13.10 will feature the beta of mir and 14.04 LTS will incorporate it. Sounds perfectly doable since unity8 and mir at least has sane design.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Funny to see when Canonical makes Mir you accuse them of NIH syndrome but don't see the same thing when other members of the community manifest the same symptoms.
                  Wayland is modern and has a good design, a design that mir borrows heavily from in fact. Compiz is/was a giant pile of hacks that never should have been used as a base for anything, which is why it made sense for gnome and kde to not use it. I do still feel that mir was somewhat pointless duplication of effort, but I don't wish its failure or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    I'm afraid to upgrade to 13.04 though since I'm sure it's loaded up with all kinds of spyware and amazon affiliations and would probably be only supported for like 6 weeks.
                    There's a shopping lens that you can remove to get rid of the amazon integration in the dash.... Did that a while ago on my work machine... But then I switched to Gnome3... so I can't really say what 13.04's like in Unity.

Comment

Unity in-dash payments

Unity 7 improvements being planned ... in-dash payments.
                      Does not want.

Comment

Working...
                      X