Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

Phoronix: Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

Valve has come a long way in the past two years over the past two years with the introduction of Steam for Linux, porting of their games to Linux, the introduction of SteamOS, pushing of other game publishers to Linux, open-sourcing some game components, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

Valve has come a long way in the past two years over the past two years with the introduction of Steam for Linux, porting of their games to Linux, the introduction of SteamOS, pushing of other game publishers to Linux, open-sourcing some game components, and much more...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NzM
    If it makes you feel better most of us thought it was a joke as well. Linux gaming is becoming a thing. I wish I could stop playing Dota2 long enough to play some other games I own but I keep buying most everything that looks interesting to show my support. Thanks valve.

Comment

First off, yes, Michael, you were right And thanks for helping them move things forward.

As for a request: I would love for Valve to work with Crouton and Google, and team up to produce Chromebooks and Chromeboxes that will game via Steam. The main requirement is 4GB of RAM at least, and a harddrive( as opposed to 2GB RAM and 16gb SSD). Given the low resolution in these machines, a Haswell Celeron will do for most games.

Comment

Steamboxes, steam os, and announcements for many interesting games on linux/steam os. I find the idea of having a small dedicated steambox that I actually own and I can upgrade its hardware very appealing.

Comment

I'm satisfied with Valve's work on GNU Linux. As a user, I can only ask for more games and more free software releases. VOGL is a good initiative. Support on free drivers would be a nice thing. GNU Linux graphics stack works best with a full free stack (as anything Linux related).
          Improvements on game library sharing should be made. As I understand now, you share the whole library and it's not game by game.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
            I'm satisfied with Valve's work on GNU Linux. As a user, I can only ask for more games and more free software releases. VOGL is a good initiative. Support on free drivers would be a nice thing. GNU Linux graphics stack works best with a full free stack (as anything Linux related).
            Improvements on game library sharing should be made. As I understand now, you share the whole library and it's not game by game.
            Are you using a translator? It sounds like it.

As long as you're playing any Steam game, you're not using a fully free stack.

Comment

I really want this to succeed!

However, I'm getting more and more pessimistic.
              There are very few AAA titles released (I love indie games, don't get me wrong).
              Some have been announced long time ago: X-Com, Civ5, Total War 2 etc...
              The Steam Linux user base stagnates.
              I didn't expected it to explode, but hope was high that it reaches 3-5% at least.
              The German magazin heise* lately featured an article how crappy the current steam controller is (Link to article).
              According to Valve they plan to change only minor details...

It's great what has been achieved so far, but I somehow miss the progress lately.
              Let's hope the Steam Machines will change this.

[*] heise has a high reputation and is not known for sensationalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Are you using a translator? It sounds like it.

As long as you're playing any Steam game, you're not using a fully free stack.
                My natural language is not English and I wrote that comment without much though on how to write it correctly. If you found any errors you could tell me about them.

When I'm talking about a fully free stack I'm talking on the OS side of things: basic user land (OpenGL libraries, kernel interfaces...) plus kernel land (drivers...). Of course Steam is not free and on top of that it has DRM.
                Last edited by Filiprino; 29 March 2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Some have been announced long time ago: X-Com, Civ5, Total War 2 etc...
                  Civ5 was never announced for Linux/SteamOS. It's just some websites spread rumors based on nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                    Civ5 was never announced for Linux/SteamOS. It's just some websites spread rumors based on nothing.
                    "just some websites" happens to be the official steam website.
                    The "rumors" came form a screenshot used in the initial SteamOS campaign. Worst case, it it was just a reference for streaming games over a local network connection. Best case, there will be a Linux port.

Comment

Working...
                    X