No announcement yet.

AMD Press Talks Up Major Open-Source Linux Driver Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While my trust in the ability of marketing people to read and comprehend something technical is close to nil, it is also true that they must have read the words "OSS" "Linux" somewhere. Moreover the publisher of Thief (Square Enix) did support Ouya at start so unless they where badly burned by the failure of that platform, supporting SteamOS/Linux maybe is not that unreal... but I'm probably just fantasizing here.

I definitely support brosis's suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Hehe yeah just make a photo of the 2000+ USD worth of GPUs NVIDIA sent you and attach it to the e-Mail.
      Hm, pretty good!
      Just make a photo of all nvidia cards you have, Michael. With a badge above saying "Donated by Nvidia".
      Send a photo via email, and put "Then help me join your party, please!" as header. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Comment

Originally posted by fedesog View Post
        [...] supporting SteamOS/Linux maybe is not that unreal...
        I see what you did there!

I'm interested in the new Thief game, but decided not to buy it (at least for now). I'd buy/preorder it in an instant, if they announce it for Linux But I guess, the PR team just screwed up

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
          The overall moody state of mind I tend to see everywhere around me lately begins to be tiresome.
          Instead of joking about a marketing department talking about Linux, shouldn't we just be pleased that they now actually take the time to talk about their Linux support?

Comment

THATS FREAKING AMAIZING!!!

I mean, what exciting there can be in AMD at long last acknowledging their Linux OSS drivers, placing it in the same spot as Linux Catalyst driver?

;P

GJ AMD floss team.

PS I bet its Valve doing They have somehow stronger pushed for porting to Linux. While they support Catalyst, and AMD was doing the same... Game dev's disagreed. Catalyst simply lack compared to r600g in some important areas (while pure perf. is not so important unless it is). So r600g *must* be supported on Linux. So AMD ought to have received more request for support from game devs about r600g. And now we see some PR acknowledgment too. (Valve and not HIB, since HIB games tend to be developed by people without reach to the AMD engineering teams, only directly to floss team via normal public channels)

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              Now they openly show what many of us already knew: The AMD marketing department is lead by morons that don't have a clue.
              AMD support is retarded aswell.

I've sent a report full of Xorg logs and detailed information about my system somewhere in November to emailcustomercare.amd.com, this was their answer:

I had to explain two more times that I use Linux (cause they kept throwing some Windows tips at me) and threat them with sending a complaint to "EU Commission Health and Consumer" (lol) to get redirected to their Lead Support Engineer which actually started to ask me some sane questions (it was about Catalyst 13.x series performance, most solved thanks to RadeonSI by now, go figure ).

Comment

The overall moody state of mind I tend to see everywhere around me lately begins to be tiresome.
                Instead of joking about a marketing department talking about Linux, shouldn't we just be pleased that they now actually take the time to talk about their Linux support?
                Bad announcements of Linux support are worse than none at all. See the early attempts by printer manufacturers to officially support Linux where the box would say Linux-compatible on it but the drivers would be ancient lpr ones that were worthless on CUPS.

Comment

Well, it's nice to hear that being mentioned, but, you know, it would have been better if it was more factually accurate and not misdirected.

Originally posted by gutigen View Post

I've sent a report full of Xorg logs and detailed information about my system somewhere in November to emailcustomercare.amd.com, this was their answer:

http://i.imgur.com/mhA65rc.png
                  Yeap, that's what I mean. That's by far not just AMD support, though. Most company customer support channels are like that... I wish there was some universal way of indicating experience levels so that if you have a high one, your messages skip directly to the engineers.

Last support request I wrote to a company was to HP about misbehaving UEFI on a laptop. I never got an answer, which is probably a good sign, all things considered...

Comment

I had to explain two more times that I use Linux (cause they kept throwing some Windows tips at me) and threat them with sending a complaint to "EU Commission Health and Consumer" (lol) to get redirected to their Lead Support Engineer
                    Maybe we all should send emails to AMD threat them with sending complaints to EUCH&C about their crappy drivers...i somply couldn't believe when tryed to play TF2 native client with Catalyst in a recent bould rig compared with same rig performance under...well....under ANY version of Window$ starting with XP and above...

Comment

I had to explain two more times that I use Linux (cause they kept throwing some Windows tips at me) and threat them with sending a complaint to "EU Commission Health and Consumer" (lol) to get redirected to their Lead Support Engineer which actually started to ask me some sane questions (it was about Catalyst 13.x series performance, most solved thanks to RadeonSI by now, go figure ).
                      Well looks like you just bounced against a first level "support" wall.
                      For fglrx bugs this still exist: http://ati.cchtml.com/
                      They read it! And from time to time may even give some feedback. But because of there release politics for driver versions, bug reports are kind of like fire and forget in the hope your descendant will live in a better world.

Comment

Working...
                      X