Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Driver For Ivy Bridge Still Catching Up To Windows

Phoronix: Intel Linux Driver For Ivy Bridge Still Catching Up To Windows

After yesterday's Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Linux graphics comparison using the very latest Intel Linux graphics driver, here are new benchmarks using the latest Windows and Linux Intel OpenGL graphics driver. Facing competition this morning is Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 13.04 with its updated open-source stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why?

Why does Ivy Bridge perform worse on Linux than on Windows?

Comment

Because the drivers use an entirely different codebase. Last I heard, the two driver teams didn't even speak to one another...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Why does Ivy Bridge perform worse on Linux than on Windows?
        As GreatEmerald wrote + Win Intel team is much bigger than Linux one. Thought that SHOULD change now when Intel attack Android market with their new chips, since they will use Linux "desktop" codebase. Meaning importance of MESA will skyrocket for Intel (As you can already see, with Intel posting results of Android benchmarks to MESA mailing list, which made Michael unhappy, cuase they are not available on non-Android Linux :P )

Comment

First off, speed-wise the Linux driver is actually rather close to Windows, in a few cases it's even faster.
          Secondly, the Windows driver might appear faster because Unigine might be taking advantage of the extra functionality the Windows driver has (GL 4.0 on Windows vs GL 3.1 or so on Linux), so when the Linux driver implements the newer versions too it might appear to work faster.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            First off, speed-wise the Linux driver is actually rather close to Windows, in a few cases it's even faster.
            Secondly, the Windows driver might appear faster because Unigine might be taking advantage of the extra functionality the Windows driver has (GL 4.0 on Windows vs GL 3.1 or so on Linux), so when the Linux driver implements the newer versions too it might appear to work faster.
            Would it be possible to restrict the Windows driver to the maximum version currently implemented by the Linux driver? I know there are env vars the Linux driver respects, I would imagine the Windows driver must have something similar..?

Comment

stupid question. windows doesn't ship with any version of GL, right. the opengl stuff comes with the driver? also it's not fair to measure 7 vs latest ubuntu. they should have used 8.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                stupid question. windows doesn't ship with any version of GL, right. the opengl stuff comes with the driver?
                I think so.

Comment

the opengl stuff comes with the driver? .
                  Typically yes.

Since the Linux guys at Intel have access to the Windows drivers, theoretically they should be able to "port" it conceptually, maybe not at the api level since one would conceivably use different APIs to implement a Linux driver vs a Windows driver, but performance wise, it should map across both platforms... Given I've never written a video device driver in my life, I'm only guessing ... My point is , there's no technical reason why the Linux driver should not be on par w/the Windows one.

Comment

stupid question. windows doesn't ship with any version of GL, right. the opengl stuff comes with the driver? also it's not fair to measure 7 vs latest ubuntu. they should have used 8.
                    8 vs 7 would make very little difference, besides 8 being annoying to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                    X