Blood Frontier: The Latest Open-Source FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine, I'll spell it out.

The scripts ARE FOR DIFFERENT PURPOSES! There is not one Uber-script doing everything. Each script is made for a specific purpose. Hence the devs can not pick the best and put it in Blender since this is not how they are designed.

Granted you could mush anything in one huge Uber-script but this jeopardizes the maintainability ( since different authors are involved ).

Furthermore if the user is not a n00b he can read the few lines describing what the exporter can do and what not. Is it really too much asked for to read a few silly lines?

Comment

Please, do point out where scripts all designed for md3 exporting & importing differ in their purpose.

Comment

It's like the SMD one ( in principal ). One is for props, one for animations. They are not in one neither.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

Now I see people at forum X prefer script Y, and that the same script is said to suck vs script Z at another place.

In the end it takes a lot of enthusiasm and time to try out them all myself. Which I don't really have right now. I doubt many other users don't either.
          And that, my friend, is one of Linux's biggest problems. Choice is good, but sometimes too many choices lead to confusion. The problem you described isn't exclusive to blender plugins.

The easy situation is picking a decent Gnome video player: choose xine-backend, gstreamer-backend, mplayer, or VLC. There isn't much to a video player but to play the video. Now, ask someone what music management software you should use. You'll get referred to Rhythmbox, Banshee, Quod Libet, Songbird, Exaile, and BMPx - with each having a support base telling you why one of the others suck.

(I should note that I'm not a Linux newbie, I'm just acknowledging one of our problems)

Comment

It's like the SMD one ( in principal ). One is for props, one for animations. They are not in one neither.
            Ah, that would be understandable

By googling one instantly finds N+1 md3 scripts, of which half do animation and half do not, but they all differ among themselves. The problem is that when there are dozens for the same purpose, a newb can not tell which is good.

Comment

@Joe Sixpack: Yeah, I'm not new to Linux either, and fully agree. We definitely need more objective reviews, or at least lists that compare the strong and weak points of all options.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                And that, my friend, is one of Linux's biggest problems. Choice is good, but sometimes too many choices lead to confusion. The problem you described isn't exclusive to blender plugins.

The easy situation is picking a decent Gnome video player: choose xine-backend, gstreamer-backend, mplayer, or VLC. There isn't much to a video player but to play the video. Now, ask someone what music management software you should use. You'll get referred to Rhythmbox, Banshee, Quod Libet, Songbird, Exaile, and BMPx - with each having a support base telling you why one of the others suck.

(I should note that I'm not a Linux newbie, I'm just acknowledging one of our problems)
                Not fully true like that. MPlayer is about playing and encoding ( it's the swiss army knife of multimedia ). VLC is about streaming and playing over networks in general. Clearly a different field of usage. gstreamer on the other hand shows again why Gnome ( and Debian ) should be banned from earth. They just try to bang through their own ego instead of using what works already. Xine backend I don't know to be honest.

Comment

But they all play videos, and someone new to them would not know the difference. Thus they would need a good summary like the one you wrote. If you know about the md3 plugin(s), would you mind saying which has worked best for you?

Comment

I don't use md3 models for my projects. They are not suited for my project.

Concerning the tools, I can only repeat it. I think it is not too much asked for somebody to read the 1 or 2 lines in the package manager stating what a program does. And "encoding" and "streaming" should be in my opinion different enough to catch the drift. Granted there are tons of video players around which is too much but any sane Linux distribution gives you MPlayer first anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      I don't use md3 models for my projects. They are not suited for my project.

Concerning the tools, I can only repeat it. I think it is not too much asked for somebody to read the 1 or 2 lines in the package manager stating what a program does. And "encoding" and "streaming" should be in my opinion different enough to catch the drift. Granted there are tons of video players around which is too much but any sane Linux distribution gives you MPlayer first anyways.
                      VLC is the best!

Comment

Working...
                      X