Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source HTML5 Terminal Emulator To Support X11

Phoronix: Open-Source HTML5 Terminal Emulator To Support X11

The Gate One HTML5-powered terminal emulator and SSH client that goes without needing any browser plug-ins and supports many SSH/terminal features is working on bringing X11 support to the web-browser. The developer claims that this X11 support in the browser written in HTML5 will be fast enough to support video playback and he's made a video demo as proof...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?

Comment

Can somebody tell me why a terminal emulator has to support network transparency? Or SSH? I thought that gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal were terminal emulators...
      (And that the SSH support came from the installed ssh)

Also, it says it "doesn't require browser plugins" which confuses me as well. I can write an HTML5 app separate from a browser in a multitude of different ways, so how does a browser fit into this??

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Can somebody tell me why a terminal emulator has to support network transparency? Or SSH? I thought that gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal were terminal emulators...
        (And that the SSH support came from the installed ssh)

Also, it says it "doesn't require browser plugins" which confuses me as well. I can write an HTML5 app separate from a browser in a multitude of different ways, so how does a browser fit into this??
        This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
          Well

Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
          HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.

Also with Asm.JS we can get near native performance (right now about half but will get better with ES6)

Comment

Depends... when you say "operating system", what do you mean?

Comment

Will this be a binary that just runs in a webbrowser using html5? Or can this literally be a website (ie: terminal.org or something) that you can in place of opening a terminal on your machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
                HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.
                I don't know about vanilla Java, but Python works just fine on my Android device.

Comment

This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.
                  ooooooookay. Yeah, I missed that at first. I thought the terminal window was an actual window and it was just using QtWebKit or something to be written in HTML5...
                  That makes much more sense now

Comment

I am the author

Hey there... I'm the author of Gate One. If you guys have any specific questions about it or the new X11 support just ask away.

Comment

Working...
                    X