Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Llano Graphics Battle: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Llano Graphics Battle: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

A month ago we looked at the Radeon HD 6550D graphics performance from the AMD Fusion A8-3850 (a new "Llano" APU) under Linux when using the Catalyst driver. However, bugs at the time had barred a comparison of the Llano graphics under Linux with the open-source Mesa/Gallium3D driver. Fortunately, we now have a working open-source Radeon driver configuration to deliver these comparative AMD Llano Linux OpenGL benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

better than excepted, last time catalyst was around 10-15x faster.

Comment

Soon hopefully we'll be talking about small percentage differences

I seem to be having a very positive outlook on things today - I'm sure it'll pass

Comment

An article for newbies please?

Hi, I find the articles with graphics drivers very interesting.

Would you care to write an article that explains how to install the latest video drivers on a clean Ubuntu system? I mean a command by command guide that makes no assumptions for newbies like me? I am interested to learn how to install from the source, not from some pre packaged form.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          Hi, I find the articles with graphics drivers very interesting.

Would you care to write an article that explains how to install the latest video drivers on a clean Ubuntu system? I mean a command by command guide that makes no assumptions for newbies like me? I am interested to learn how to install from the source, not from some pre packaged form.
          Well, though software compiling isn't an excessively hard thing by itself, why would you want to do that on drivers? There are official repositories on Launchpad that provide updated and bleeding edge open source drivers (X Updates and Xorg Edgers, respectively) that are easy to install. For proprietary drivers, the Ubuntu Wiki provides simple guides for installing the latest binary drivers. Compiling drivers can become something unnecessary at this point, except you want to modify code (which I doubt, since you're saying you're a beginner).

Comment

Working...
          X