No announcement yet.

Half-Life: Source Released For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my all time favorite games if not the top game is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The game was buggy to the point it wasn't really playable as is when released and the developers soon went out of business. The game was salvaged by a very committed modders who refused to let it die and have been releasing bug fixes until this very day.

The point to this little tale is that the game was the first to use the Source engine. There were countless attempts at reverse engineering the assets and upgrade the engine to a later source version to fix some very annoying bugs but the game was using python binding and countless modifications to the source engine which made the usage of the SDK alone nigh but impossible.

Hopefully until now...

TL;DR - This is awesome and I hope someone will use this to fix Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
      It's the 5th most played game on steam.......

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
      Then where the heck is everyone? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Do you play on Quick Match or Servers? Last time i tried to play Quick Match it was pretty much empty. But servers have a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Selling those moronic jpegs to stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            One of my all time favorite games if not the top game is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The game was buggy to the point it wasn't really playable as is when released and the developers soon went out of business. The game was salvaged by a very committed modders who refused to let it die and have been releasing bug fixes until this very day.

The point to this little tale is that the game was the first to use the Source engine. There were countless attempts at reverse engineering the assets and upgrade the engine to a later source version to fix some very annoying bugs but the game was using python binding and countless modifications to the source engine which made the usage of the SDK alone nigh but impossible.

Hopefully until now...

TL;DR - This is awesome and I hope someone will use this to fix Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
            +1 to that! I'm not a gamer and it's been a long time since I've fired up a game of any kind, but if somehow a native port of VTMB came to Linux, I'd definitely give it at least one playthrough. Really neat game, and was one of my favorites back when I still played games.

I'm not holding my breath, though. Given the considerable effort that had to go into just making VTMB playable in the first place, with no official support from the defunct developer studio, I can't imagine there being anyone with enough interest to put forward additional effort into getting it running on a different OS. With the studio shutting down before the game was even fully finished, there was so little marketing for it and so few modern gamers who have even heard of it. Sorry, I just don't see it...
            Last edited by Serge; 13 September 2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Colon

I wish there was no colon in the title
              There sure are many people out there who would make the effort and work on the Half-Life engine source code!

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                This doesn't need to happen, all of the bugs in the game that can be fixed have been fixed. The problem most people have is that Wesp has spent a lot of time spamming his mod about as the only way to run the game on a modern system; conveniently leaving out that said mod introduces more game breaking bugs and CTDs than existed in the game on release.

Comment

Working...
                X