NVIDIA 310.19 Linux Driver Carries Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    I can't understand why they are in so much financial debt.
    Big contract with Nintendo (Wii uses ATI)
    Big contract with Microsoft (XBox 360 uses ATI)
    Every major motherboard with an AMD cpu ships with an ATI chipset.
    Because of a few reasons:

1: AMD put itself into a lot of debt as the result of the ATI purchase.
    2: AMD typically targets the low-end, and as a result has very low product-margins.
    3: AMD since K8 has typically shipped its products late, which has lead to increased development costs and reduced sales.
    4: AMD has been absent from the fast growing mobile-market.
    5: AMD in non-competitive with Intel in sales in the Server market.

Shipping lots of low-margin parts is a great way to try and gain market share, but is financial folly. Lets face it: Its CPU side of the house is a mess right now.

Comment

DON'T USE NVIDIA driver 310.19 with STEAM !!!!

Lo's of textures problems with ROOST4145 game , i had to reinstall 310.14 and now everything is well.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        I need to find a small low-profile NVidia solution for my media computer: E450.
        You can get a Geforce 210 for like $10 after rebate. My Zotac has no fan (heatsink only) so it's silent. And VDPAU is the best in the industry IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          You can get a Geforce 210 for like $10 after rebate. My Zotac has no fan (heatsink only) so it's silent. And VDPAU is the best in the industry IMO.
          ...but for what you want a 210 ?!?

Performance is so weak that you might as well build a nice machine with a mini-ITX board with socket using a G620T/G630T/G640T/G860T CPU with a TDP of 35W with Intel graphics build-in totally fanless with some low profile full copper heatsinks that are made for servers with a TDP of 85-95W.

IMHO....YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            ...but for what you want a 210 ?!?

Performance is so weak that you might as well build a nice machine with a mini-ITX board with socket using a G620T/G630T/G640T/G860T CPU with a TDP of 35W with Intel graphics build-in totally fanless with some low profile full copper heatsinks that are made for servers with a TDP of 85-95W.

IMHO....YMMV.
            Well he said it was for a media center and that he already had an E450.

Comment

Well he said it was for a media center and that he already had an E450.
              Ahhh OK....but for a new rig, even for a media center / low end gaming machine, integrated graphics is the way to go....

It's dificult to find a low profile , fanless with minimal good performance VC....and at low price AND not using ATI GPUs...

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                Ahhh OK....but for a new rig, even for a media center / low end gaming machine, integrated graphics is the way to go....

It's dificult to find a low profile , fanless with minimal good performance VC....and at low price AND not using ATI GPUs...
                which integrated graphics?

ati has the problem that it doesn't support full video acceleration (misses mpeg2 acceleration and various other things)
                intel , as far as i know has still some big issues with 24Hz mode and some other bugs.

sad but true, nvidia is still the best option for a media center on linux if you want it all. i personally use a GT220 event hough i have an integrated ati graphics. i wish i could use that integrated one a save another 10W.

Comment

Well the 300 series introduced a lot of changes for the RandR stuff and at the time NVIDIA devs promised to re-work the nvidia-settings utility to make it easier to configure the new options.
                  Not using 310 yet but 304 removed settings like Gamma.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    There seems to be a setting... does it not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      You might be able to use the 'xgamma' utility.

Comment

Working...
                      X