Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Zeitgeist Is Coming To The KDE Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME's Zeitgeist Is Coming To The KDE Desktop

Developed as part of KDE4 was Nepomuk to handle meta data of all kinds on the desktop in a generic fashion regardless of file type as a step towards a semantic desktop. While Nepomuk continues to advance, the KDE developers are now collaborating with GNOME developers to bring Zeitgeist to the KDE desktop too. Zeitgeist is one of the GNOME 3.0 projects and is basically a desktop engine for logging and tagging all sorts of desktop activity from document openings, the web-sites you visit, emails and notes you create, etc. This information is stored on your system in a central database so that via other GNOME applications you can access this data or perform queries to help you in different ways...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now, if only Nepomuk would come to Gnome....

Comment

BeOS? Reminds me of Live Queries

Comment

in one way I realy likes this. In another way it realy freaks me out. I know that every aspect of privacy is gone and computers are easily hacked. Even OpenBSD is easy if you have a standard router and a x86 processor and not compile from source...

Comment

Indeed. Do not want.

Is there some way I can turn this thing off once Gnome 3 is out?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Zeitgeist is one of the GNOME 3.0 projects
            No, it's not. Zeitgeist is an independent project which just happened to have started as an idea within GNOME: http://zeitgeist-project.com/about/

Originally posted by woegjiub View Post
            Now, if only Nepomuk would come to Gnome....
            Nepomuk is only a set of specifications and not a program on its own. Nepomuk?s reference implementation originally way Java-based. Later KDE picked it up which effectively turned KDE?s implementation into the reference one. However, according to the Tracker website, it already adopted Nepomuk?s specifications.
            The news item about Zeitgeist coming to KDE makes me hope that KDE will also adopt Tracker and kick out Strigi as back-end.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              I know that every aspect of privacy is gone and computers are easily hacked.
              If you have configured your OS to be insecure, you have other things to worry about than just aggregated Zeitgeist data.

I don't know why you equal Zeitgeist with lost privacy. It's not as if Zeitgeist submits all your data to Google (Google Desktop does that).

Originally posted by movieman View Post
              Is there some way I can turn this thing off once Gnome 3 is out?
              Since when do GNOME users like configurability?

Comment

Can't wait to have some fscking program spy on every letter I type, every mouseclick I make.

Good thing I don't have any micheal jackson music on my disc anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  Can't wait to have some fscking program spy on every letter I type, every mouseclick I make.

Good thing I don't have any micheal jackson music on my disc anyway.
                  Hey, the filesystem also keeps track of files I have and files when they were accessed. ZOMG!!! Privacy!!!!

Open Office has a list of recently opened documents. ZOMG!!!! Privacy!!!

Firefox has a history of sites I browse. ZOMG!!! Privacy!!!

Anyone who thinks that this has privacy implications should stay indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                    Anyone who thinks that this has privacy implications should stay indoors.
                    Yeah. Those idiots shouldn't use computers in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X