No announcement yet.

More Radeon Power Management Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then you don't have the power management hooks in your kernel, for whatever reason.

Do you have the latest versions of other parts of the stack, like libdrm?

Comment

• Strange, I didn't have to do anything after a stock install besides installing a new kernel to get the power management working, on Ubuntu Lucid I installed kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-next/current/ (all 4 files per processor although I don't know if they all are necessary)

and on Arch Linux a vanilla 2.6.35-rc6 from kernel.org.

Comment

• I'm curious whether current pm code does something on integrated cards, like mine 3200 HD? AFAIK memory clocks are fixed, so maybe some voltage drop or anything else? Difference between foss and fglrx is cca 8 watts with 2.6.32

Comment

• You can adjust engine clock and voltage on IGP chips.

Comment

• Those were vanilla-sources using gentoo.

Well i've to take a closer look if those patches are inside. For example the rework power management path (8/9) adds in Kconfig "depends on POWER_SUPPLY" which is not in my sources. But grepping after "PM_PROFILE_HIGH" or "DYNPM_ACTION_UPCLOCK" gives results.

I hope to solve my screen corruptions and freezes, that i get everytime i have a high cpu load especially combined with watching videos (xv overlay). Screen Corruptions without kms and freezes with kms. I have my power supply (which is 460watt, 18A output on 12 Volt and a Radeon X1950) in closer consideration for beeing the source of these errors.

Comment

• "POWER_SUPPLY" is for getting events when the system switches between battery and wall power. It has nothing to do with the power output of your power supply in your system.

Comment

• I think derdestiller was looking at his power supply to see if it had enough output to reliably drive the X1950. IIRC the X1950 system requirements call for >30A at +12.
                Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by derdestiller View Post
                  I can't seem to find power_method in my sysfs directory.
                  Any idea what could be the reason?
                  I have the same problem, it was there in 2.6.34, but not in 2.6.35...

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    I have the same problem, it was there in 2.6.34, but not in 2.6.35...
                    The pm support was only added in 2.6.35, so you wouldn't have had those entries in 2.6.34 unless you we using some custom patches or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      The pm support was only added in 2.6.35, so you wouldn't have had those entries in 2.6.34 unless you we using some custom patches or something.
                      Doh! Sorry, my memory is foggy, it was /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info which went away between .34 and .35.

Comment

Working...
                      X