Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

With Fedora 21 not being released until at least August, some developers are working on possibly shipping the GNOME 3.12 packages in Fedora 20 as a stable release update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to GNOME 3.12, it's been a long wait.

Comment

Fedora rolling release. I say bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Thos looks like an one-time thing before fedora.next. Anyway it would sooo nice to se this as a fedora 20 update on release day.
        Fedora 20 was released months ago, and Fedora 21 will have Gnome 3.12 by default.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Fedora 20 was released months ago, and Fedora 21 will have Gnome 3.12 by default.
          I'm pretty sure they meant on Gnome 3.12 release day

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            Fedora rolling release. I say bring it on!
            Isn't rawhide already the RR aspect of Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              Isn't rawhide already the RR aspect of Fedora?
              It's not kept in a usable state. It's not even as stable as the Arch Linux testing repositories because it's treated as a staging ground.

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
                It's not kept in a usable state. It's not even as stable as the Arch Linux testing repositories because it's treated as a staging ground.
                Actually things have improved greatly over the past few years. Clearly, a lot depends on which desktop environment you are running. Gnome, from my experience, tends to be the most fragile, since they release a lot of unstable releases on the path to the next stable release, and they will all land in rawhide. Other environments, KDE for one, tend to only make releases towards the end of the development cycle, where things are really pretty stable. I've been running rawhide / KDE for the past three years or so, and only got bitten only once (because I missed an alert message on the fedora-devel list).

Comment

Originally posted by smani View Post
                  Actually things have improved greatly over the past few years. Clearly, a lot depends on which desktop environment you are running. Gnome, from my experience, tends to be the most fragile, since they release a lot of unstable releases on the path to the next stable release, and they will all land in rawhide. Other environments, KDE for one, tend to only make releases towards the end of the development cycle, where things are really pretty stable. I've been running rawhide / KDE for the past three years or so, and only got bitten only once (because I missed an alert message on the fedora-devel list).
                  Rawhide will often be tracking the development releases of the version that's eventually going to land in the stable release, so you're exposed to more upstream problems. Most projects still lack good test suites or don't do any testing at all, and the churn of the development branches/releases is painful. The Linux kernel is a pretty good example... hardware-specific regressions are common because it would be very hard to test everything, and it's nice to let other people find these for you in the earlier release candidates and first stable release .

Arch's testing repositories only get the latest stable release of GNOME and the kernel, with the first or second point release being the one moved to the stable repositories. Unstable releases are released a separate gnome-unstable repository. It's not an enormous difference, but I do run into far fewer issues in Arch compared to Debian Sid (probably due to heavy patching) and Rawhide.

Comment

Fedora rather needs something like the Arch User Repository. I always felt like software availability and discovery is especially bad on Fedora. Nobody wants to hunt down RPMs and RPM Fusion just dosen't cut it. I don't want to look in a thousand places to find my stuff. On Arch if it's not in place A (official repos) it's in place B (AUR) and it's nice centralized, searchable, you can leave comments, vote, get notified about future comments, super easy to contribute and install software from.

Comment

Working...
                    X