Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Phoronix: Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Here's a pleasant Saturday evening surprise: Debian 6.0 was just released! After being in development for more than two years, the Debian developers have found it's now time to release the Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" operating system. Not only is it Debian 6.0 GNU/Linux to play with, but as previously reported, Debian 6.0 GNU/kFreeBSD is official too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so anyone know what the next release is called? i'd like to get the repo of that whenever its available - i'm sick of being 2+ versions behind everything. i don't care too much about cutting edge but i don't like being outdated either.

on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?

Comment

wheezy is the next version

It's the list of characters in the film Toy Story as they appear in the credits

Comment

At last. After 2 years .
        When you tipe, debian.org, you'll expecting there's news about this release, yes? but.. give it a try .

Well, I hope they sync it ASAP against www.debian.org.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?
          sounds like you are asking for aptosid, formerly known as sidux.

Comment

Yep, same as @schmidtbag
            I used Squeeze for like a month - stable indeed - but the software is too old for me to make for a pleasant experience (kernel 2.6.32 ru kidding me? is it a server or what), shotwell old too, wanted to compile a new one from scratch - doesn't cut it for the libs in the system are too old for the latest version of shotwell, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Yep, same as @schmidtbag
              I used Squeeze for like a month - stable indeed - but the software is too old for me to make for a pleasant experience (kernel 2.6.32 ru kidding me? is it a server or what), shotwell old too, wanted to compile a new one from scratch - doesn't cut it for the libs in the system are too old for the latest version of shotwell, etc etc.
              Yes, it is a server. Who do you think the primary users of debian are?

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                Yes, it is a server. Who do you think the primary users of debian are?
                I thought it's primarily targeted towards desktop users.. well I mean I thought both desktop and server have pretty much equal priorities within Debian..

Comment

I thought it's primarily targeted towards desktop users.. well I mean I thought both desktop and server have pretty much equal priorities within Debian..
                  IMO stability is important for a desktop as well. Sure, there are a few programs I use newer versions of but it's not that hard adding a PPA, installing a .deb or compiling from source.

Comment

Debian stable sees widespread use as a webserver and a gateway. People who want to use Debian as desktop generally run testing or unstable.

Comment

Working...
                    X